Good day An interesting concept could be a solution to those difficult to access repair components. Kind regards Uffex
Already old technology.
Not for access it’s for transport. In fact with the counterweight removed access is worse than on a non assist machine because of the structure in the way that the non assist machines lack. Still better than a counterweight fully in the way of course. The chain lift is what Cat used up to the F model, now they use an arm system that sets it back a few feet The chain lift is easier to use. The arms you have to adjust for proper fit. The arm system has the advantage of being able to swing back over a lowboy and set it in the center.
I've always appreciated the self-erecting option on large platform excavators. 400 and up makes for quicker on site assembly when there are no options. One guy can "slap a hoe" together in a few hours vs 2 guys, a crane and other logistical headaches. Komatsu and Volvo both use a pretty slick set up that tucks up tight. You have to look for the upper carriage, otherwise look like any other excavator.
I've never seen one on a 400 size machine. They all seem to have started with 450 and up. Around here I see lots of 400 sizes moved complete. Next size up always has the stick and counterweight removed and the track frames pushed in. If there was a crane available, I always preferred it over the machine loader.
I mis spoke. I meant 400 size to include 470 Volvos, 490 Komatu etc. Just too lazy to type all that out, but ... you forced my hand. It's hard for me to trust others when it comes to erecting equipment on site. Sketchy methods, quality of rigging, did the operator go out and get "lit up" the night before. I'm getting too old to be someone else's "whoopsie or 'my bad' " I can't scramble out of the way like before. That's why I prefer self-erecting machines .
Good day I was thinking of those short tail radius machines. Many complain that access is difficult without multi jointed arms and wrist. I have seen one machine with a hinged ballast, the design had some service influence and input. kind regards Uffex
the hinge could be good, make it open top hinge with big tapered guides so you could drop it on when it is at 90, and then wedges as you close it. Set it up so you have a porta-power pocket built in to push it open and get it started, then drag it out of your way or take it clear off. Build it with fork notches so a heavy forklift could remove and set it on the open pins, push it shut.
I hate those tall skinny counterweights. They are always wanting to fall over. They are a pain to tie down on a trailer standing up, and they aren't any fun to lay down and stand back up either. The old 4100's used tall skinny weights.
Self loading counterweights always leave nearly as much structure in the way as having a fixed counterweight. I'd rather just take them out of the way
The forces that are applied to a counterweight are considerable. There is a reason the mounting hardware is large and torque specifications on that hardware are high. I remember installing Link-Belt 98 and 108 logging shovel counterweights and pushing the nut wrench with a six ton forklift to meet the spec. I'm sure some kind of latch system could be designed but the minis are treated like a commodity so they are already price sensitive. Unless there is a consumer demand that will pay the price of those features, it isn't going to happen.
That's all well and good, unless the mfr neglected to incorporate any lift eyes. Then you get to hunt for rigging. Tap out the holes, fit the lift rings, blah blah blah. Then you find out it's an obscure fine thread that no one makes a tap for and has to come from overseas with a 2 month lead time. No thank you.
I cracked the bolts on Scarsella's old 225, yes they take a beating. It was entirely my bad I was rough on the old girl. I have gotten better since then.