Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Couple questions.

dbloomin · 2022-03-27 16:36

I bought a tandem dump at auction. Town plow truck. You know the setup, short wheel base, short box with hydraulic tank behind cab. If I stretched the frame and put a 17 foot box on and added a lift axle is there a way to change the manufacturers gvwr or is it set in stone for the life of the vehicle ? Gvw is 66000. Or is this over ridden by the divisible load permit in New York state depending on axles and bridge formula ? Thanks for any answers and advice.

Replies29
  1. #1Truck Shop2022-03-27 17:54

    How much net weight were you figuring gain?

  2. #2dbloomin2022-03-28 10:25

    Was hoping to get around 80,000. A little background, truck is 06 with no def crap. Truck has 100,000 miles on it. Sucked an exhaust valve and sat for a long time before they auctioned it. Truck had one driver since new and is in mint condition otherwise I would not bother with it.

  3. #3Truck Shop2022-03-28 12:50

    how about a photo of said machine?

  4. #4Junkyard2022-03-28 17:21

    Most instances bridge formula and axles will determine what you can legally gross.

  5. #5dbloomin2022-03-28 20:31

    Yes, I was wondering if manufacturers gvw was gods word not to be exceeded or they could permit over manufacturer gvw. I guess what I am getting at is after alteration does truck have to be reevaluated for gvwr by somebody for increased capacity. I know thats the wrong bumper but I could not find a used vhd bumper anywhere. 1500 for three new pieces seemed kinda steep to me. 435 d12 -10 speed- top level interior. thanks

  6. #6Junkyard2022-03-28 20:33

    The only state I’ve ever had give me grief over the door tag was Arkansas when I was running the big trailer with 17-19k on the steer. Here in OK they don’t care want the factory tag says, not sure about NY.

  7. #7dbloomin2022-03-28 20:39

    Well let me tell you, New York state is no picnic. Its like California's little brother.

  8. #8Truck Shop2022-03-28 20:52

    Realistically your better off to stay within plated GVW. It was rated at that for a reason. 66,000 is nothing to sneeze at. Sure you can add a drop axle and pickup some but I wouldn't go beyond a single drop. Which depending on which drop was installed Steerable or non steerable I would think a Hendrickson ST13 would be a good fit with out adding too much weight plus it's steerable. If you do install the GT5040 full function lift air valve, the simplest to install with regulator and psi gauge.

  9. #9Junkyard2022-03-28 21:30

    I’ve been to all 48 and Canada so it’s nothin I haven’t experienced. At 66k you might be good for it with a lift depending on what your bridge measures.

  10. #10crane operator2022-03-28 21:55

    I don't see how you could get to 80,000 if you have to comply with federal bridge law. Unless you use one of those rear fold down axles like the concrete redi mix trucks have, to stretch it way out and also add a bunch of axles. And just so I understand what you want to do- are you wanting to cut and stretch wheelbase in the middle for the bigger box? Or full rerail to longer wheelbase? With the setback front axle and the current wheelbase you're pretty short to get any bridge. How long is the box you currently have? And how tall could you make the box and still get it loaded with your equipment? Are you only loading at a quarry, or are you wanting to load it with a mini x or skid loader? There's some trucks around here that run short box with some real tall sideboards, quarry to delivery. Loader at the quarry gets over the sideboards fine. With the current wheelbase, you're probably only legal for 50-52,000 gross for federal. (just guessing at wheelbase)

  11. #11Truck Shop2022-03-28 22:03

    52

  12. #12dbloomin2022-03-28 23:08

    With my current wheelbase and a divisible load permit I am good for 65000. Truck weighs 27000. Box is 14 foot. They don't allow non steerable lift axles in NY anymore. I wanted to cut frame and stretch wheel base for the bridge formula and put a 17 or 18 foot box on with lift axle. I am working for a quarry right now with a couple of 2 to 3 year jobs. Some of these tri axles here are only legal with 21 , 22 ton depending on wheel base. I don't know if it's even worth the bother for 2 or 3 more ton a load. I retired from running a county highway so just doing this to keep moving and make some extra money. Keeps me away from people and it's warm and dry inside a truck. I do all my own work so none of this project would be out of my skill set. Have changed cabs, rebuilt motors ect.

  13. #13crane operator2022-03-28 23:40

    If you can put 65,000 in a three axle with that short of a wheelbase- I wouldn't see any reason to go to a bunch of work. Is that just a annual permit then? What kind of axle loads do they allow you? 20-22,000 up front and the rest on the rear? 65,000 on a tri axle every day dump trucking- you'd want a pretty heavy spec truck for that. I'm guessing that you get paid by the ton and are wanting to up the scale tickets- or do they pay more if you just have a bigger truck?

  14. #14dbloomin2022-03-29 10:39

    Yes getting paid by the ton. Truck has 20,000 front - 46000 rears - 24.5 rubber. Yes the divisible load permit is an annual permit. 500 a year. Truck is legal with 16 ton. But if I pay N.Y. state 500 for a permit I am legal with 19 ton without changing 1 nut or bolt on the truck. They used to be called R permits. Seems legit to me.

  15. #15crane operator2022-03-29 16:23

    We can't run anywhere near those weights here.

  16. #16dbloomin2022-03-29 19:39

    I see all those trucks for sale with 2,3 and 4 lift axles. We don't have any of those here. Everybody just runs tandems with 1 lift axle. With a permit they are legal with 22, 21 ton depending on wheelbase and empty weight. What do they allow in your state ? Back in the 80's we would run 25 , 28 ton on those old 237 Mack tandems. Lucky to get to 55 with a tail wind and forget about stopping quick. A lot of white knuckles with both feet on the brake pedal sometimes. 4 axle 30 foot dump trailers are good for 38 ton here.

  17. #17Truck Shop2022-03-29 20:07

    None around here. Most county bridge weight restrictions won't allow them.

  18. #18crane operator2022-03-30 11:18

    I think the Western Star Dmiller drives is a quad and he only gets 21-22ton on.

  19. #19Truck Shop2022-03-30 11:31

    DM's truck has 48 axles.

  20. #20dbloomin2022-03-30 16:23

    48 axles ? That's a big sucker.

  21. #21Truck Shop2022-03-30 18:36

    centipede.

  22. #22dbloomin2022-03-30 18:46

    Must go down the road like a hay wagon

  23. #23CM19952022-03-30 19:21

    Here in AL on state and secondary roads a tri-axle dump can legally carry 25 tons depending on truck weight with no permit required. Tandems are rare as everyone wants to hire out tri's for obvious reasons. This truck here can legally scale 25 tons everywhere in AL except the Interstate hwys.

  24. #24Truck Shop2022-03-30 19:32

    Never getaway with that here.

  25. #25Don.S2022-03-30 19:50

    But why do you guys do the straight truck with lots of extra axles. Around here i can put 55 000lbs in a short tractor with a short 2 axle trailer. It drives far better then any straight truck and i can put it anywhere i need. Only thing it cant do as well is off road.

  26. #26crane operator2022-03-30 20:46

    Because everyone here ends up offroad, in places you wouldn't have a chance of getting a trailer. If it was on a road, you wouldn't need rock there.

  27. #27AzIron2022-04-01 01:19

    Most times it comes to brige law you can run short end dumps here with 2 pushers to get 80 thousand plus a framed short end dump weighs more than a super 18

  28. #28dbloomin2022-04-01 13:00

    That's what everything around here looks like. Last year they made non steerable axles illegal so a lot of guys just took them off and didn't bother replacing them with steerable ones. A setup like that is good with 21.5 - 22 ton depending on empty weight . 90 percent of the time you end up dumping off road. No place for a trailer.

  29. #29Tyler d4c2022-04-01 15:49

    In pa your allowed 73280 on a tri axle dump truck how they ever came up with that number I have no idea. Should be 80000 IMHO