Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Coupling attachment issue on a Case 1840 skidloader

kimmer · 2025-10-07 15:36

I have a 1999 Case 1840 skidloader. I bought new log splitter attachment but can't get the couplings to fully connect. I tried turning the loader ignition switch to the "on" position then moved the foot pedal back and forth as directed to no avail. Each fitting will go part way in but not all the way to point of locking. Suggestions?

Replies5
  1. #1KSSS2025-10-07 16:25

    Assuming that the log splitter has not been used so you should not have a pressure issue on the attachment side. The quick coupler on the 1840 may not be the correct shape. Assuming that the coupler is OEM from 1999 on the CASE, the designs have changed and it may not be the correct coupler for the attachment.

  2. #2stefuel2025-10-07 18:14

    What he said. I rented a attachment a couple of years ago to use on my 1840 with oem connectors that didn't fit. replaced the connectors and all is good. compare the male connector in the splitter to the male connector on the machine. I think you'll find them slightly different. Also make sure the foot control on the floor works freely.

  3. #3kimmer2025-10-07 22:56

    Thanks for the suggestions. The foot pedal seems to be operating correctly. I'll swap out the fittings for newer ones. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping the fix will be that simple.

  4. #4bad Tom2025-10-08 08:56

    You can't rule the log splitter just because it's new. I bought a new tree shear several years ago and could not plug it in. I had to loosen the couplers on the shear and let off the pressure and then it would attach.

  5. #5stefuel2025-10-08 10:58

    A simple test for that would be to see if he can plug both ends of the splitter together.