I'm planning on having a concrete pad poured and a cover built for parking and storing a U55. What is the normal position for placing the boom and stick when parked? What is a good size for the concrete pad and height for the cover?
This is the best position to storing an excavator. It leaves the least amount of chrome on the cylinders exposed
That makes sense. The concrete pad will end up pretty long.
Never seen concrete too long or shed too big. I chickened out when built my shop, thought 60 ft long was tons.... kick my self that I did not go 75 that I could have. Always struggling w part done project and another needs in shop right away. Another couple yards on concrete really does not take much more labour to pour and finish well u doing big pour.
Additionally parking machine like that will keep maximum amount of fluid in Hydraulic tank which will reduce the amount of moisture being drawn in during thermal changes. Also if you have a tank heater it will warm more of the fluid up for a cold start.
If you would've went 75', you'd kicked yourself for not going 100'. I could fill up 100K SF and still plan an addition.
Any machine built in the last 40 or so years will have hard chrome plated cylinders and rust won't be a problem. I think just setting the bucket flat on the ground with the stick about vertical is fine. Unless the hyd. tank is filled to overflowing, there's always going to be some empty space for expansion when the oil heats up. As long as you put the boom down shouldn't make a whole lot difference. Having the stick vertical won't allow the boom to creep over time.
Thanks for the great replies. I already have a shop/garage but the mini ex will be too high to fit through the garage door so I'm just having a separate small pole barn built just to park the ex.
i would build it big enough for the ex. and a tractor or something, or you will be adding on
Guys is the image above the same "best" parking position for a mini excavator? Reason I ask, is when I check my hydraulic fluid its showing way too high. I just opened the cap today slightly and had fluid start oozing out.
It's overfull especially if the oil was cold. Unless there was an air lock but I doubt it.
Generally hydraulic fluid level is checked with the bucket flat on the ground and the stick vertical. The stick out, boom down, and bucket curled back is going to put the most fluid in the tank possible. The level is probably a bit high if it's running out the tank sitting like that. Check the op manual if you have one to double check the correct position for checking hydraulic fluid level on your machine.
Some machines curled all the way in some all the way out some bucket open some closed. Only way to know for sure is to check your manual