This morning while on the 941 loader & was travelling across the property near the back when I see what looked like a coyote in the distance & it went up near my work area that is perhaps 200' away, then turned around & came in my direction, skirting around behind the bee hives, then crossed right in front of me! That is rare around here to see the least. Video isn't great but I did my best! Usually they see a person & head the opp way! I have noticed over the years when someone is on a machine, they don't always have the same level of fear. This feller looked to be in pretty good shape to me, but I am no expert. Once in a great while when I am walking my dog in the back 40 he will give chase & they always high tail it. Hope the video works ok!
Thanks or posting Metalman 55 . . . he sure did look healthy. I always associate coyotes with dessert country and it was interesting to see one among beehives and snow. Cheers.
Must not have many wolves in your area. Wolves like to eat coyotes.
Next time leave the camera and use the .243
Looked real healthy to me also. Must have been his scheduled patrol looking for a meal. I've seen the same thing with quite a few animals not being concerned with machines. Seen deer and elk stand on the edge of clear cut and just stare at the shovels working their way through the cut.
We have a pack of coyotes working the local area. Come up by the house AFTER dark so as not to catch hell from me as I have taken two out so far. They do tend to get a little braver as winter wears on them for a meal.
No wolves around here anymore. My dad used to say that 60 + years ago that there were timber wolves around here then.
This one was spotted on one of the sites I've worked on. If you're not familiar with the area around Pittsburgh PA, it's kind of hilly, so there's lots of wooded green space between neighborhoods. This particular site overlooks one of the rivers, and abuts a large city park, but it is within the city. Up the hill, 100 yards behind where he's standing, is a typical dense urban neighborhood.
Around here all the Coyotes stopped howling years ago. They figured out it was just a dinner bell for the Wolves. The Wolves we have in Montana love to kill for the sport of it, even if they're not hungry. They have wiped out 90% of the Elk population.
I would think that fellow needs to be terminated coming around that close. He is up to no good. I live in a small city and have them in my front yard. I have small house dogs , they love them. I am low enough in a valley to be able to fire a 5.56 at them. They are killing our small game as well.
When I walk the dog back on the trails we find all sorts of evidence that the coyotes have been there, especially on a cold winter with lots of snow (these pics are from previous years). This year has been warmer, so I have not seen anything to speak of. The dog is sort of a big boy & when he sees a coyote he chases them off, as he would outweigh them by at least half again their weight. So far they never challenge us! I will say though, once the dog latches onto a trail find like that, he don't let go easy!!
coyotes are pack hunters and will tear you dog apart, if you go walking with your dog , you better bring some artillery to shoot the coyotes, they will set up your dog, 1 coyote will play injured and get your dog to chase him right into the woods were 10 coyotes will be waiting for an ambush, and the coyotes will learn overtime how you walk your dog...and then set you up...
What part of Ontario are you in? I saw a large coyote walking up the sidewalk near my shop in Pickering in the fall.
Near the Niagara area.
Looks like a decent pelt walking around them beehives. I'd be sure to take him out before he brings his buddies around and reeks havoc. Seen many a good big dog taken down by a pack of yotes. Just as said earlier, they like to ambush.
we have yotes all over wisconsin my nephew was out bowhunting during the rut a couple of years ago the coyotes were running all over that he couldn't get out of the tree he was stuck up there until my sister came looking for him with the ranger they are not as bad as the wolves you shoot a gun and they think you just rang the dinner bell we are just starting to get them by us at night you can hear them in the swamp across the road howling
Now you are really going to have me looking over my shoulder from now on with all those horror stories!! And I don't even own a gun?
you just have to be aware whats around you they tend to steer clear of you unless theres food involved or they loose their fear of people I living in the city and I have them in my yard every so often that's why at night I just don't let the dog out alone
I agree..........I have been going back there for years & have never had a problem. I try to keep a sharp eye out for what is around me & my partner when back there. In years past we have even made the trail walk after dark, but more recently since the dog is older (me too!) I tend to only do it during daylight hours. I suppose that on more than one occasion, we may have been watched while on the trail after dark. Locally, we do occasionally hear of folks loosing a pet, but I cannot remember a human attack around here. There is always a first time though..........
Yotes are pretty cowardly, but tend to be much braver when it's dark.
When go out late or work late in the shop have at least a 9mm HiPower or my trusty 45acp 1911, wife thinks me a bit paranoid but when I can see them running within 40 yards gets unnerving. Since I shot two last fall they tend to stay a bit further back.
A fellow electrician several years ago was attacked in VT by a pack of coyotes. His version of the story is he climbed down from his tree stand after dark. Carrying a light is illegal here. He stumbled his way to his truck when they approached. I don't know if he was using doe urine, he claims not. Ultimately he fought them off with a knife. He was pretty bad torn up, but recovered. For forty years here we had sightings, and occasionally dead wolves. Game biologists have ulterior motives. They denied the existence of wolves in VT. For decades they passed it off as wolf hybrids brought here by humans. DNA tests have now confirmed they are the Red Wolf. Thirty years ago a customer shot one. Hanging up, it was about 6' toe to toe. That ain't no coyote! I will not be in the woods after dark without a handgun. Willie
Lucky! And in Missouri we have a new predator, Cougar. Mountain lion have been scoffed as to sightings for over thirty years by local biologists but recently there have been three hit by cars, one shot and killed while mauling livestock up north and south where the Dept Of Conservation is re-introducing Elk a few of these have been killed and ripped up. A female was seen in Shannon County down by Eminence MO this last month on a game camera which means potential for cubs.
If you look at a map of Vermont the little hook you see jutting out into Lake Champlain is a remote area. Once there was no road to it. Catamount sightings there have been ongoing for 50 years there, there is a thriving population of Rattle Snakes, and Bigfoot sightings. I believe the Catamount, and snake stories. They put a tracking device on a catamount in, IIRC Michigan. It ended up in Virginia. Evidently these creatures wander endlessly. Here, sightings are rare, but tracks, and scat much more common. There are plenty of people who believe they've seen one. I expect most sightings are the common bobcat. Willie
DMiller, the local game cop around here still denies there are mountain lions. Had a good friends horse get attacked by one, game warden said it was dogs or yotes, never seen a canine leave scratches like knives from the back bone to the belly before. Vet agreed with us that it was a big cat. Was running hounds a couple years ago in the bottoms out by me and found cat tracks in the creek about as big around as a folgers can. A guy shot one a few years back in the next town over and it had a tracker in it, warden showed up and asked about te cat in his freezer. Starting to get a few badger back around these parts as well. They are a scary deal to run up on in the timber. Had a neighbor put 6 rounds in one running dogs one night after it killed one dog and tore up 2 others.
Are seeing a lot of mean vermin anymore!
Around here cotton tails need controlled. I've had them ring some of my store bought trees during a hard winter, so coyotes are welcome. The old timers had no use for them as they thinned the lamb crop around 20%. Every once in awhile a chicken comes up missing, but I like chicken too. Came home one winter day after being gone for two and discovered a massacre in the pen. After trying to figure out how the critter got in, I got this feeling I was being watched. A peek under the VW storage shed revealed a couple of yellow eyes followed by a growl that stood my hair up. A bob cat hide can be worth a pretty penny in January, but I decided to leave it in there for a few days. Word got around and it became a celebrity so I opened the gate a few days later thinking it would be reluctant to ever return. Left the remaining dead birds in the snow. Several more days later, they were gone too. I've heard that cats are killers and won't quit until their tired, but now I know that they are doing what we do, stocking the larder. I appreciate that it cleaned up the mess. Never had a return visit since.
I'm not certain I understand why. State officials will deny the obvious. I'm guessing there is money involved. When confronted with quite a number of killed canines way too big to be Coyotes they passed it off as either wolf hybrids, or Coyotes breeding with German Shepherds. It took forever to get DNA testing to admit we have, (in small numbers) a wolf not thought to live here. There are a lot of theories how a mating pair got here. Beyond that it's birds, and bees. A small population of animals inhabiting habitat exactly like their usual range is not impossible. Everything in VT is Catamount. We have banks, school sports teams, hiking trails, the power company starts a subsidiary company to compete with electrical contractors, A second electrical contractor in my town, everything is named Catamount. Why did it take so long for biologists employed by the state to admit we have Catamount? Hundreds of farmers have killed calves, lambs, and kids to prove it. They are convinced. Willie
Yeah, our local high school's mascot is Wildcats. Colorado is about to "thin out" some puma to study the effect on mule deer, which have been dwindling for about twenty years now. Out of state license is around two hundred and the "economic impact" is at least triple. So money is a factor. Upside is the elk numbers are up, but so is elk damage to fields and hay stacks. Push there, it bulges here. Personally, I wouldn't want to live anywhere a cougar couldn't.