Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track Shovel Holder

Metalman 55 · 2017-02-04 13:03

Made up & installed this track shovel holder onto my "poor man's ROPS" this morning. It is Brrrr here today.....was about 16f when I went out there & the welding cables were sure stiff. It'll be nice to always have the shovel handy on the machine.

Replies7
  1. #1Labparamour2017-02-04 13:09

    Looks good! I was looking at the other thread on various tools used for track cleaning…I need to come up with something. DB

  2. #2Welder Dave2017-02-04 14:15

    You should put some gussets where the uprights join the mounting plates on your canopy. Where the roof is attached looks 5 times stronger.

  3. #3Bls repair2017-02-04 14:20

    Looks good , don't do on factory installed ropes ,big osha no no

  4. #4Metalman 552017-02-04 15:17

    This old 941 came with the "poor mans ROPS" on it, when I bought the machine a year & a half a go, but agreed as BLS says that welding on ROPS is a no-no. I could put a few gussets on it which would stiffen it up quite a bit at the bottom as it shakes a lot, especially on hard or frozen ground. I should increase the bolt size too, as it only has 3/8" diam bolts in the mounting plates. It is just used on private property so I don't think our version of OSHA will bother me, but having said that I have been checking around to see if I can find a ROPS for the 941, as the machine runs good & there are hardly any leaks on it. If anyone sees one available from a 941 or 951 for sale, I would appreciate the tip.

  5. #5Welder Dave2017-02-04 15:22

    The bolts do look small. Maybe put a rubber pad under the mounts to lessen the vibration.

  6. #6Metalman 552017-02-04 15:38

    Yes, the rubber is a good idea too & I have some............guess what I will be doing when it warms up again!

  7. #7DMiller2017-02-04 18:04

    I LIKE It, may steal the, I mean borrow the idea!!