Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cracked cast boom on 590SM

Jake Kraft ยท 2010-09-29 10:00

I owned machine 2 Days, 2002 590 SM, 3 ft bucket digging out pond (muck from bottom) had extenda hoe out, was swinging to left when i stopped swing to dump and the right side of the cast broke in the area between the second and third pin. Ever here of this. Was I abusing the machine? I sure would not think so. Any one know of a used boom to purchase. First quote I got was $9400 for a new one. Part number is 140505A1 Boom can anyone tell me what other models use the same boom. I hear from some that it can be welded but others say no. The left side hung on but not sure if it got weekened.

Replies24
  1. #1cat3202010-09-29 10:31

    you can't weld cast boom maybe it had a hairline crack when it was new and it got worse.I should make a correction maybe a bad casting.

  2. #2Burns-Tractors2010-09-29 14:27

    Is there any way you can take it back to the dealer?

  3. #3frogfarmer2010-09-29 14:36

    I have seen booms welded before but they never hold for long. Sorry to say its time for a new one. Those booms are available from salvage yards. Find a salvage dealer in your area that will do some searching and they should come up with some better prices. A used boom 3000 miles away will be less than half what you were quoted. I use a yard in southern Illinois for my case parts but they are a ways from your locale.

  4. #4monkey2010-09-29 17:46

    welding alone won't hold up maybe weld it, then wrap/weld the sides and bottom with something like 3/8ths plate steel. You really don't have anything to lose, give you some time to find a good used one.

  5. #5JS580SL2010-09-29 18:10

    You cannot weld on ductile iron, says it all over the boom and swing tower. Time for a new one. Ive seen 580/590's take all kinds of abuse. What you were doing wasnt abuse. 3ft foot bucket with a heavy load and swinging to fast might be a bit hard on the hoe but nothing compared to what could be done.

  6. #6monkey2010-09-29 18:17

    ductile iron can in fact be welded, it does take a competent welder though as far as what it says on the boom......my momma told me ************ would make me go blind. My hearing aint the greatest but my eyesight is perfect

  7. #7Jake Kraft2010-09-29 19:32

    Thanks for the input guys.

  8. #8daman2010-09-29 20:19

    Wow sorry to hear,,that would suck on a newer machine like that...

  9. #9Goose2010-09-29 20:41

    Case does have a 5 year warranty on the ductile iron boom and dipper but you are a few years out of that period. I have seen a couple booms welded by a welder that new ductile iron well hold up for a pretty long time but even those developed cracks after a few years use that the customer chased and had weled but most ended up replacing the boom, 590 booms will be a little hard to find since there is not a high population of them compared to the 580s. My last customer with a broken 590 boom had it welded and worked it while he was waiting on a used boom and it took about a year for one to show up.

  10. #10Jake Kraft2010-09-29 22:53

    The guy I bought this from is a very good friend, he feels bad about it and is trying to help with the location of a boom and fix of the repair. The machine is tight, clean and loaded, that i got for a very fair price. I won't be out to bad I guess if I can get it replaced for 5G. Just wish it was the engine instead, at least then I would have a fresh engine. The darn booms are supposed to last a life time anyway.

  11. #11diggerdave19582010-09-29 23:56

    Hey, Jake just a question for you did the boom AND swing tower both crack ?? Any how sorry to hear about the problems with the new machine to you,

  12. #12El Hombre2010-09-30 13:02

    This would probably be considered a "ghetto" repair, but I'd get some 1" plate, big enough to span that crack by 12" or so. Then use some big grade 8 bolts and nuts to attach that doubler to the boom. Drill it in place and go a little undersize and ream the holes for a drive in with a hammer fit. You don't want that thing walking while you use it. Then put out the word you're looking for a used one. Or you could try to weld it, ask the professional weldors if they think it will work. Probably involves some serious preheating before they start welding.

  13. #13Ando2010-09-30 18:18

    Ductile iron can be welded successfully, provided you use the correct 99% nickel type electrodes (or wire) and follow correct proceedure (cold welding/peening). You only preheat enough to take the chill out of the metal. A fishplate over the weld would give added strenght as well. Personally I'd have the boom welded and keep searching for a reasonably priced, second-hand replacement. I have always used Eutectic electrodes (22 years) for successful welding of ductile iron. If you have a boilermaker look at the job and he doesn't know what nickel electrodes or cold-welding means.....he's not the man for the job.

  14. #14WayneS2011-03-16 02:34

    I've run Cases for most of my 25 years as an operator. I've used 4 foot buckets on the last 2 Cases I've had. I've never had a problem with the boom. Slinging mud with a 3 foot bucket was not abusing the machine. Good Luck Wayne

  15. #15shopteacher 12011-03-16 09:11

    Having taught welding and fabrication since 1987, I agree with Ando. I would use a 3/4 to 1" fishplate as large as I could, thru bolting it in locations that it would draw tight to the broken piece. It appears that there is an indentation towards the center, if so, I would cut my fishplate to fit inside so that it would draw tight to the broken piece without stressing it. You might need to heat the fishplate and form it to the contour of the piece that you are attaching it to. In any case, I would look at this as a temporary repair while you search for a replacement boom. Take it easy when using it as it will be nowhere near as strong as the original piece.

  16. #16CRAFT2011-03-16 12:09

    Hmmmmm ! WOW ! ......... I know that this thread was started back in Sept '10 ......... but did you get your problem fixed ? ..... the 2 pics you posted looked like there was 2 breaks, one right thru and the other in diff location a huge crack ........ again WOW ................ I too have run alot of back-hoes, what you explained was not abuse or stress, IMHO the only thing that would stress swinging would be the hydraulics going to releif ........... If I had to guess it looks like in its previous life, maybe before your buddy got it , That sucker looks like it got hit by something (like another machine) or maybe it was so stuck that an excavtor tried to hoist it out or a bulldozer torqued it beyond its limits ????? ...... last spring I had the good fortune of running a 590 SM ! ... WOW ! ... never seen a back-hoe that was such a treat to run, power, reach (extend a hoe)and stability ...ect ..... if I was to get one it'd be a 590 ...awesome ! .... Let us know how you made out !

  17. #17shopteacher 12011-03-16 13:55

    I never noticed the start date for this thread!

  18. #18watglen2011-03-16 19:32

    Ooooouuuuuuuuch!!!!!!!!!! Jeez, that REALLY sucks

  19. #1994SKgary2011-03-16 20:44

    Broken tractor has a low hour boom but they want 8,175 for them. sounds alittle high to me but i dont know how much your willing to spend on one.

  20. #20Jake Kraft2011-03-17 13:53

    Ended up getting a used one bought for $7000 and shipping. All back together now some time ago. Anyone want the old one? maybe a welding class project or something. Thanks for all the help.

  21. #21Tinkerer2011-03-17 14:48

    If it were mine I would keep it. The situation may come back on the replacement. Here is a link with good information about welding cast booms. If the link is in violation of forum rules the moderators are welcome to delete my entire post. http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677

  22. #22watglen2011-03-17 18:09

    Kraft, did you ever figure out why it cracked? I was thinking about it and wondered if maybe the dipper cylinder was replaced with a shorter or longer one, causing a little bit of binding or interference during operation? Just a thought. I would like to know what caused it though.

  23. #23CLIPH2012-05-14 19:07

    we have 6 case 590's 4 have cracked the booms in the same place. 2 are new and they will crack sooner or later. had one repaired was a waste of time and money. lasted 1 hour. welding job was professional and very expensive. case should come forward and admit there is a problem and stand behind their product. how many operators have had boom cylinders leak at the welds and spray you in the face. big problem with 580 and 590. i've got a good fix for those.

  24. #24rfedistribution2013-07-22 11:32

    Case 590 boom We have seen this happen a lot lately. For future reference we can supply you new and used with warranty, way less then you were quoted. Used Case 590sm boom.