Hey yall! Was just setting the track tension on my 311CU and I couldn't help but notice some carnage. There's maybe 3-6 (probably more) cracked bushings on each track (left and right) with 1 actually missing a chunk of bushing. The damage all looks pretty old so it was probably like this when I got the machine last fall. Curious about a couple things giving the situation: 1. If I keep running the machine for the rest of the year (maybe 200 hours) what are the risks? 2. Would yall replace the whole link assembly as well as the drive sprockets? Just replace the cracked bushings? 3. As far as sourcing parts is it best to stick with Cat or do yall have any aftermarket manufacturers you'd recommend? Pretty green to the heavy equipment scene so any advice is appreciated, Much thanks!
Had a bushing ‘explode’ in 2017 while testing our 2004 Hyundai 210. This was at -13c in Kamloops—-the Finning dealer (Cat) had taken in the machine from the city of Kamloops as a trade in. At the time it had a brand new undercarriage…I think the cold weather may have encouraged the failure. 10 years later…no failures of any track link bushings. The failed bushing has caused no issues. This machine has walked at least 120km…(in and out of various mining claims) What brand of chains? Should see some branding on rail links. Perhaps put up a photo of the sprockets. I am just an owner/operator…other members will have more technical input based on photos.
Your track chains are likely toast. Post some pictures of the rest of the undercarriage. You will probably need to replace sprockets and rollers also. If that's the case, as long as you can keep the tracks from falling off, I don't think you will do any damage to anything else by running it. I have not had good luck with ITR parts, but others seem to like them. If Cat parts aren't much more than aftermarket, it probably makes the most sense to use OEM parts.
It does look like in (photo 1) a lot of internal wear on the pin…. Are the pin bosses showing wear from contact with lower rollers?
I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking at so I'll take some more photos next time I'm on site I'd love to keep running it as it's currently on a job but I'm weary to blow the tracks apart, damage something else and have it stranded somewhere inconvenient.
How many hours on the machine, and do you know if/when the undercarriage was last replaced? What sort of work are you doing with it?
Unknown as the hour meter (stopped at 1911) don't work but I'm guessing around 3-4k. I'm pretty sure it's the original undercarriage.
Like BC said, it may last a lot longer. If you're not doing anything particularly taxing on the undercarriage, you could try to finish out the job with it. Just be conscious of it and avoid doing anything that will put extra stress on the links.
Roger that
Here's some more photos of the undercarriage. Everything looks pretty good to me but I don't really know what I'm looking at so let me know what y'all think.
Did you buy the machine new from a Cat dealer? There were factory issues that could be addressed at the dealer level. Plenty of excavators got new chains because of failures like that. The rest of you components look pretty good looking at the photos. I would suggest making contact with the dealer PSSR to come measure the undercarriage and make recommendations.
No I bought the machine used, however I have reason to believe the chains are original. I will get in touch with them.