Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Crane cabs.

cuttin edge · 2025-10-13 14:11

This may have been discussed before but why are crane cabs on the right and excavator cabs on the left. I would guess the excavator would be so you can see the drivers side of the truck, but what about a crane

Replies7
  1. #1Vetech632025-10-13 14:31

    Thats like asking the difference between a right Twix and a left Twix. I still haven't figured that out.

  2. #2cuttin edge2025-10-13 14:49

    I have a thought on that. If the wife is on the right and I open it she takes both, but if she is on the left, she still takes both

  3. #3Truck Shop2025-10-13 15:20

    Break it in two crosswise.

  4. #4Knepptune2025-10-13 18:40

    Depends on which side of the pond they’re built. Most American cranes are on the left. Japanese cranes are on the right. If you see a manitowoc with the cab on the right it’s rebranded kobelco. If you see a link belt with the cab on the right it’s rebranded sumitomo.

  5. #5Coaldust2025-10-17 18:54

    OMG! It’s Della from the Pakistani Truck YouTube channel. I love your work. I celebrate your entire catalogue.

  6. #6DDoug2025-10-17 19:33

    Interesting. Early American excavators were right sided cabs, (JD 690 A & B) W&S-Hopto, Little Giant (IIRC), B-E both cranes & then hydraulic excavators. Japanese excavators have the cab on the left.

  7. #7Welder Dave2025-10-18 02:10

    P&H was on the right too.