Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Crane electrical and hydraulic issue

Gentlemen ยท 2015-04-15 18:46

Hi, I am helping a friend who is having issues with a bt3470 terex boom truck mounted on a terex. The issue seems to be that the boom will raise on the truck, but it will not lower, the crane winch will move down normally, but it moves down very slow. Also, there is no longer any power going to the load moment indicator. Apparently some welding working was done to the truck a couple days ago and the battery was disconnected on the positive terminal. I checked the fuses in the truck and I was unable to find any at fault. Has anyone had any similar issues to this? Is there a fuse I'm missing? All suggestions are appreciated

Replies4
  1. #1Gentlemen2015-04-15 18:57

    Quick edit. It's mounted on a sterling truck.

  2. #2RocketScott2015-04-15 22:18

    I'd find out why there isn't power going to the LMI first. Whomever ran the power to my boom went straight off the batteries with no fusses. On top of that they ran it through through a hole under where the crane rotates, didn't take long before the insulation wore through and started a fire. Hopefully when they reconnected the batteries for the truck they just forgot to hook up the power to the crane.

  3. #3Gentlemen2015-04-15 22:24

    Started working on the LMI. Traced the power cable for the LMI back into the junction box with all the hydraulic lines. However, theres just so many connections to that point in the junction box, and I have no schematics, so its basically tracing every wire and checking all the fuses, relays and connections to each invidual wire. We will recheck the connections to the battery tomorrow. I appreciate the suggestions. Sucks about the truck, bet it was a descent insurance payout

  4. #4RocketScott2015-04-15 22:45

    Insurance? I was lucky enough to see it and get it out before it caused too much damage. Burnt the trailer air lines and a few wires. Do you have a main power wire coming into the junction box from the batteries? It might be easier to trace it from that end since that's the end that was disconnected.