Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Crane fire in Sydney this morning.

RocksnRoses ยท 2012-11-26 21:24

I thought the crane people here on the forum might be interested in this. It happened a couple of hours ago in Sydney. I guess we can only speculate what might have happened. http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...y-sydney-grounds/story-fndo1sdf-1226524733377 http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-27/ultimo-crane-fire/4394144 RnR.

Replies16
  1. #1The Learner2012-11-26 22:11

    dont know how the fire started but its pretty clear why the boom fell the fire has melted the lifting cable and it broke just after 1:20 you can see the cable flick and the boom fall

  2. #2mitch5042012-11-26 22:13

    Sydney's CBD has been thrown into traffic chaos following the crane fire. Three busses broke down in the city blocking main streets, a truck blocked main roads in Auburn and a horse strayed across the M4. :falldownlaugh:falldownlaugh:lmao:lmao:roll Until now, I thought stuff like this only happwened around here.:lmao

  3. #3heavylift2012-11-26 22:34

    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-27/crane-fire-sydney/4394356 The end of the video shows a worker climbing down after the boom had collapsed, don't know if it was the operator. most likely a very scary ride.

  4. #4Dualie2012-11-27 01:51

    Looks like a fire fighter, with about 5 pounds of poo in his boots.

  5. #5BridgeCraneJen2012-11-29 12:00

    That's pretty frightening...

  6. #6The Peej2012-11-30 06:28

    I'm surprised that there's that much flammable stuff up there to support such a fire

  7. #7classictruckman2012-11-30 19:43

    could have been an electrical fire

  8. #8RocksnRoses2012-11-30 21:55

    I haven't seen anything on the cause of the fire yet, but this article indicates fuel was leaking from the crane. http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...-into-crane-fire/story-e6frea7l-1226525421449 I have a question for the crane operators here, how do you get the fuel up to the engine, is there a pipe running up the tower, or is it lifted up in containers, I know nothing about tower cranes. RnR.

  9. #9RocksnRoses2012-11-30 22:00

    Don't think for one minute that you have the monopoly on it Mitch, we are right up there with you. RnR.

  10. #10Dinale Precast2012-12-01 02:55

    The crane lifts its own fuel up in a tank. Lift the tank above the engine and let the hose dangle down. Walk out onto the walkway and grab the hose and let gravity do its thing.

  11. #11RocksnRoses2012-12-01 04:19

    Thanks for the reply Dinale Precast, that makes sense. RnR.

  12. #12Blmreject2012-12-01 23:54

    Most are electric.

  13. #13DirtHauler2012-12-02 00:03

    With that system I would not want to run it out of fuel.

  14. #14gostr8r2012-12-02 00:12

    One of our members on the fb Crane Operators Only group watched it go up in flames, from his cab across the way from it, and then saw it fall when the boom hoist rope burned thru. He posted his own pics while it was still on fire in real time.

  15. #15Dinale Precast2012-12-02 00:36

    The vast majority in Australia, specifically Victoria are diesel. Elec are really only used in congested residential areas.

  16. #16Blmreject2012-12-02 00:43

    I knew they made oil burners but you don't see many over here in the states. I ran a White whirly in troutdale, oregon years ago that was converted to diesel it had a pipe that ran up one of the legs. You would line up the house, climb out and hook up a hose. Then the fuel truck would pump while you watched the sight glass. It wasn't perfect, but much better than constant pickup arm problems.