Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Crane pads

cuslog ยท 2015-12-11 16:52

I see where "crane pads" have come up for discussion a couple times here. Thought I'd post up photos of ones that I like -- I made these myself, for my 20 Tonne Clark R/T. I've had a couple of scary experiences with inadequate pads and / or soft footing, so I'm more than a little cautious about my pads -- these have worked quite well (so far) . These are 3 layers of Douglas Fir 2 x 6 Tongue & Groove lumber criss-crossed, with 3/4" Fir plywood top and bottom. 36" diameter. Each and every layer heavily glued (sub-floor adhesive) and heavily nailed. They're about 70 - 80 lbs ea. but roll around quite nicely For moving some distance around a yard, I either just roll them or hang them on the back of the crane by ratchet straps. For roading it, I put a longer strap through the handles (both sides) and lift all 4 onto my front deck and tie them down. Hope this helps someone. Howard

Replies4
  1. #1old-iron-habit2015-12-11 19:10

    Nice looking pads. Very similar to what we always made. Size was dependent on machine.

  2. #2ichudov2015-12-11 23:19

    Looks very nice, I want to make something similar too.

  3. #3cuslog2015-12-12 10:22

    36" dia. is probably "Overkill" for a 20 Tonne on asphalt or concrete 99% of the time -- but for that 1% of the time when there's a soft spot hiding under the surface.

  4. #4ichudov2015-12-12 10:44

    36" diameter is pretty good for softer ground!