Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CRANE TAKES DOWN POWERLINES

Natman ยท 2018-01-11 10:12

Not what you're probably thinking, as near as I can it was on a low boy being transported. But obviously something wasn't right. They are lucky nobody got hurt, and can expect a heavier then usual bill from the local utility next month. https://www.eastidahonews.com/2018/01/crane-takes-power-poles-destroys-cars-bonneville-county/

Replies5
  1. #1hosspuller2018-01-11 12:41

    Nah .. your power bill won't show any of this damage... The transporter's insurance will see a lot of claims though. Had a manufacturing plant have a shutdown because of a truck hitting a power pole. Trucker's insurance Co saw a huge claim from that. (I always questioned the power company whenever we got a power glitch that shut down our process)

  2. #2Natman2018-01-11 21:50

    Not MY power bill, THEIRS, the crew doing the hauling! Maybe not though..... While talking about this recent incident with a local friendly competitor of mine, he mentioned that a few years ago he snagged a low hanging line with his 26 ton boom truck. It fried his LMI but did no other damage, though plenty of damage to the powerlines and poles. It was only after my friend pointed out to the local (city run, all hydro) utility that the line was below 13' and therefore not his problem but theirs, that they backed off on charging him for the damage, and they even bought him a new LMI. All without lawyers getting involved, amazing as that sounds. The same utility involved in this incident BTW, so maybe they are at fault again?

  3. #3crane operator2018-01-12 08:17

    The way I read the article, the house lock/ swing brake failed, and the boom came out of the rest and was drifting around on the way home. I know some crane outfits don't hook up the ball/block to the front or rear bumpers. If the house lock wasn't set, it wouldn't take much to pop one loose. One other possibility is a bigger crane with boom dolly. If they come loose from the boom dolly, the boom is in float and free swing and its a really really not nice event. I know from personal experience. I'd like to see pictures of the crane. Come on natman, you're the closest one to it, lets see some investigative work...

  4. #4Natman2018-01-14 13:43

    Well, it's not that close, 150 miles round trip, but I have made several phone calls, but now it is at the point where every one is clamming up. And it turns out it wasn't the local utility, but a much bigger one, so big no one will even pick up the phone. But if i get work up there, and see a line man not an office puke, I could still get the inside story and will report back.

  5. #5Natman2018-01-22 23:24

    I got an update today on the event, while working at a grain elevator. The word is.....it was a 90 ton crane, that had it's unsecured jib swing loose while going down the road (still was not able to find if it was on a trailer or moving itself), and the operator was apparently known for being an outlaw, as in NO insurance, over weight permits, etc., or other bothersome paperwork.