http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/intrepid/index.php?cam=libertysp A webcam from the USS Intrepid Museum showing the recovery of yesterday's plane crash, live now. Kinda hard to see as it's from a long distance away, but interesting, nevertheless... On edit: I removed the "time senstive" part of the thread title, since it's all over...
A collection of pictures of the operation.
I wonder if any parts of that plane will ever be put back in service again?It looks pretty good there ) That pilot laid it out for the world to see.........we all would like to think that that is how we would have done it if we were ever put in that situation but those of us who are highly skilled have been told from time to time,"You make that look easy". In fact,once you have fine tuned your moves enough times there is no wasted motion and you can make it look easy.More often than not it takes another highly skilled person to recognize it though ) My hat is off to the pilot,the crew and the whole organization,they can hold their heads high and I salute them!!Ron G
I would Imagine it will be rebuilt. It will be some time though. The FAA will do an investigation that could take upwards of a year, possibly more. Then I would imagine it will be rebuilt by AIRBUS. It doesnt seem to have any major structural damage. Considering what it went through, its in great shape.
According to the news reports, the plane will be dismantled by the NTSB. The plane was fully submerged and that part of the Hudson has a pretty high salt content. I doubt the plane will be salvaged for re-use, water raises hell with wiring and computers. A friend of mine had a car go in a pond, while it looked fine it was forever plagued with electrical issues. She finally got rid of it, it was too unreliable. I doubt they could afford the risk with a plane.
Steve, When I say rebuilt, i mean stripped down to the frame and everything redone from there. Not an old wire, not an old hose, but basically a brand new airplane, just old frame. Frames have a life expectancy of thousands and thousands of hours.
The consensus of opinion on some of the aviation boards is that this one will be written off. Apparently the belly is pretty badly torn up, which may or may not be a moot point, as aircraft in general are pretty sensitive to getting bent up. It doesn't take much to put one past the point of not being economical to repair. I'm not sure how the fact that Airbuses are largely made of carbon-fiber composites will factor into it either. They may not be as susceptable to corrosion, but on the other hand, you just can't rivet a new panel to the frame the way you can with aluminum. Somebody suggested the landing gears may be salvalgable, since they stayed in the wells, but there may not be much else that can be reused. That's not to say that it's never been done though: This crashed DC-8 is still flying today. As far as the pilot goes, he's also a glider pilot, so he's probably used to landing with no engine.
Sorry I don't have a link but I was watching Bob Hoover yesterday doing unpowered acrobatics with a twin.I imagine if you entered his name in youtube it would find them for you.He seems to have no fear but there you go again,he knows his business.Ron G
I just think in today's world with the surplus of liability lawyers so eager to litigate, a rebuilt airliner would be forever haunted by its past. If there was ever a problem in the future, it would certainly come back to those who did the repair work. I'm not sure you'd find a company willing to assume that risk.
US Airways flight pick from Hudson Tring to post a series of pics of the recovery that were sent to me in an Email, can't seem to get it done if you know how to do it PM me your Email addy and I'll foreward the Email to you. I have the pics saved to computer but they won't resize for the forum
Host them on Imageshack.com and there are simple options to resize them for forums or leave links to them.
I sent you a PM. We do have a thread on this already, in the cranes section: I came across a site with some pictures, and did post a link there to that site. I don't know if the ones you have are the same, or different. I'd always be interested in seeing more...
Ha, think I got it finally
The rest
deleted
I merged the pics thread with this one so all info is together.
Here's a REAL nice gallery of photos from the recovery effort. Lots of stuff that you'd never see in the news.