I was in the area this past weekend and I had my camera with me. Enjoy.
More...
CAT equipment dealers are regional, most all of them have pretty big stock yards. The Ringhaver CAT yard here in Florida is FULL of all types of equipment as well. Its nearly 4 acres. Thanks for the Pictures, I'll try to get over to Ringhaver sometime while I'm close to them and take some pictures.
more...
More...
Yeah Carolina CAT has a huge shop and yard in Charlotte, NC.
Milton Cat is said to be one the biggest dealers in the country with 13 locations, this is one of their bigger yards from what I was told. I'll post some more pics later.
Did they have any milling machines in that yard that you saw? I've been looking for pictures of the newer models and can't find any.
I've heard that dealers wern't allowed to stock new machines in their yard anymore. It binds up to much money for the company.(Cat) That practice was to stop some years ago.(Local importer here has never been able to deliver stuff to us on short notice.) Seeing so many new ones in that yard surprised me... Bet it has something to do with todays economic situation. Its a dangerous situation to have new unsold machinery in your yard. It can be located there for years.....
So who is the biggest dealer in the US:beatsme I thought i saw that it was Holt Cat,does the biggest mean biggest area or most inventory???? Just wondering? while we are researching thing out here? When i went through the Deere plant at Dubuque ,Iowa three years ago they told us that every machine that was being built was supposedly to be sold :beatsme:usa
HO Penn Cat dealer on Long Island seems way down on new stock with the exception of small skid steers there is not much there. Hope things turn better soon. I doubt Cat is footing the bill for machines in dealers yards. They may have a low interest program but they could not afford to just keep shipping and not get paid.
googled this Holt Cat Celebrates 75 Years as Cat Dealer 2008-05-02 This year, San Antonio, Texas based Holt Cat, the largest Cat dealer in the U.S., celebrates its 75th anniversary as a dealer for Caterpillar® Inc. Beginning on April 16, Holt will celebrate this milestone with their valued customers and dedicated employees at 12 of their Texas based store locations. In June of 1933, company founder William K. "Bill" Holt established Wm. K. Holt Machinery Co. in San Antonio, to serve as the Cat dealership for 60 South Texas counties. His first location, a small store at 1333 South Flores Street, was staffed with only three employees. Bill Holt was the second son of Benjamin Holt, who is credited with developing the first practical track type - tractor in 1904 which he named the Caterpillar. "My great uncle started this dealership in 1933. My father, B.D. Holt, is celebrating 60 years of service at Caterpillar and this dealership this year, said Holt CEO Peter M. Holt. "The Holt family has deep roots in Texas. I grew up in San Antonio and Corpus Christi and joined my father's dealership in 1983. Our partner, Caterpillar, provides superior products for us to distribute. We compliment those products with a level of service and parts support that is unmatched in the industry. Our employees are guided by a set of core business values which ensure that we operate in an ethical manner with each other, with our customers and within the communities in which we live and work." Since its inception, skilled Holtemployees have provided superior Caterpillar products and service and built valued relationships with customers. Today Holt Cat is one of the largest Caterpillar dealers in the world: over 2,000 employees serve machine and engine customers from 20-plus locations, from the Red River to the Rio Grande. Holt Cat's 800 service technicians support the large volume of Caterpillar machines and engines operating in their 118 county Texas territory. Although Holt is primarily a Caterpillar distributor, they have fabricated their own line of land clearing tools and Spray King water tankers since the late 1940s. Using their extensive machining and fabrication capabilities, they also design and fabricate many unique equipment items for customers on a custom basis. Holt sells Caterpillar equipment ranging from 5,000 pound skid steer loaders to massive track - type tractors and off highway trucks weighing hundreds of thousands of pounds. Industrial engines provided by Holt range from less than 25 to almost 10,000 horsepower. About Holt Holt Cat sells, rents and services Caterpillar machines and engines in a 118-county Texas territory spanning from the Red River to the Rio Grande. Holt also offers extensive machine and engine rebuild capabilities and sells used equipment around the world. Further supporting its broad range of products and services, Holt fabricates its own line of land clearing equipment and Holt Spray King® water tankers. The Holt team of 2,000 men and women is committed to providing rock solid stability with superior products and services for heavy equipment and engine users from Brownsville to Texarkana. For more information, visit www.holtcat.com .
Speedpup,thanks for finding that ,it was real interesting.Nice family history there in the Holt Cat dealership isn't it. Not to many dealers can go back that far is there!!!!!! Thanks again for the find:notworthy:usa
thats their yard in milford right , off 495
Ya it's their Milford Yard, Here are some more pics
More...
Are those OSHA approved blocks holding up that loader in you last pic Now i don't feel so bad about doing it that way! I'm sure it is temp thing waiting on tires probably:usa
Here are some more...
Where's the used? off brand pictures at????? Would like to see what they had in that for sale,looking for a bargain:usa
And More...
A couple of more...
Cats don't look good in snow.
I didn't get any pics of off brand equipment but did notice a few Komatsu and Volvos. This yard is not nearly as full as when I last visited maybe 4-5 months ago so you can tell things have been slow even for them. Last time I was there that must have been at least 50 skid steers, a dozen Backhoes, 3-4 385's, more motor graders and dozers and I beleive they had a 992 im not sure, didn't have my camera. I've never really noticed any milling machines whenever I have been there either.
yep google is real interesting as you can find about anything on there. I also enjoy ebay and search vintage construction for a ton of interesting manuals, books. and pictures even if you just browse. I like looking at what was in use equipment wise when I was born '52.
When it comes to biggest territory in the USA that would belong to N.C. Machinery. The complete state of Alaska and part of Washington state. Also they are part of the Harnish Group Inc. which also owns Tractor and Equipment Co, the Cat dealer who has stores in Montana, Wyoming and North Dakota. The most new inventory:beatsme, that changes on a day to day basis. With the economy in the situation as it is, not to many dealers bringing in machines unless it is sold. When times were good, probably every dealers lot was full. Cashman Equipment just opened a new main headquarters in Henderson, Nv. Nice place, but wrong time to be spending over 200 million. Lot's of equipment sitting in that yard. Wheeler Machinery has a new place in Hurricane, UT. Much larger than the old spot in St. George, but bad time to open up. Most of these things were already in the works before times went sour. Holt would be one of the oldest dealers. They have had dealerships all over the country. Right now they are in Texas, and California. Wagner Equipment is probably second for territory, after purchasing Rust tractor. They now have the state of Colorado, New Mexico, and far West Texas. Plus they have a partnership in Mongolia, and Siberia. Wagners rental fleet is huge. As far as inventory these guy would be "The Biggest" and if not they are not far from it. Right now they have over 1000 pieces of used equipment. New inventory, would have to drive by each store to find that one out. When it comes to dollar figures of new machine sales, probably a dealer who has quite a bit of large mines in thier territory. I know in the west it would be Cashman, Empire, Wagner, Wheeler, Butler and some more to go one. In the east Whayne, Walker, Carter and so forth. It is the big ticket items such as Haul Trucks, and Large Wheel Loaders that are selling these days for Gold, Coal, and Copper. One sale of a 793 Haul truck is probably the same as a yard full of skid steer loaders. Also the trucks are usually bought in multiple numbers. When it comes to the largest dealship in the world as far as territory, that would be given to Finning, who has Western Canada, the UK, Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, and Uruguay. With all the action going on up in the oil sands, and the mining in the rest of the countries Finning has for a territory, they would be #1 for the world. They amount of 797 Haul Trucks they have sold is unreal. Many dealerships have been bought out by others, Cat wants to reduce the amount of dealers. Do not know if it still is true, but roughly 8 years ago, Carter Machinery, a dealer in the east was owned by Cat. If it still is, not sure. Dennis Washington, who owned Washington Construction out of Missoula, Montana and who had purchased Morrison Knudson, wanted to buy a Cat Dealer. I believe he was trying to get Long Machinery which was his dealer he dealt with. Cat said no, due to his construction company, it would be a conflict of interest. So instead, he bought a Komatsu dealership, Modern Machinery. Long eventually got bought by Western States, who has a nice size territory. Back in 03 Peterson Tractor bought out Pape' in Oregon to make them larger. They have bought out a few dealerships in thier day. In 04 they made Caterpillar history by selling 24 657E scrapers to one customer, plus the other support equipment to go with it. This was all on one ticket. It was a very good year.:drinkup The customer was Desilva Gates, and a bunch of the 657's have been sold some over machinery trader since the economy went in the toliet. Every dealer has it's own unique story to it. Some are sad, some are just hilarious
As far as the 'States go, our local Cat Dealer usually has a fair stock of new machines, although not as much as this Dealer pictured. Most of the new Cat machines I have bought in the past were stocked units on the dealers yard. Looks like it will be a while before I need anything else. I was talking to my salesman the other day, he told me if you wanted a special order backhoe it would be 6 weeks to get it. Cat has slowed production down due to the lack of sales, or so I am told.
The oldest dealer in the US would be Yancey in Georgia, followed by Quinn in California.
Ok thank you. I asked that because this season should be pretty busy with public works contracting. I did notice alot of those machines pictured have been used although quite a few had never seen action. Must have been a fair amount of lease returns or they are/were rental units.
my milton in new hampshire is so small to the ones in mass
992G Thanks for the great info.As far as Cat you seem to know your stuff:notworthy:usa
Last time I was there they had very little in stock also.
Arrrrgh! It's a shame they're still managing to sell landfill compactors with the crappy "Cat +" cleats....
yeah do you go out back to i only go on sundays when their not open so i can see the things they are fixing up tooo
Jay Cashman Inc, from Boston, just bought 6 385CL's from Milton Cat over the last few months, so I was told. I also heard they bought quite a bit of other stuff for a large dredging project on the Hudson River in Albany. Right now they are testing one of the 385's here in Norwalk, working on a barge in the harbor.
As someone else stated Ring Power down here in Florida is also considered one of the bigger Cat dealers in North America. I believe it was last year they finished 2nd in sales behind Finning. And they are usually #1 or #2 in PINS. Also, in St. Augustine they train alot of other Cat dealers techs. And is also part of Pipeline Machinery
Also forgot Ring Power also has Entertainment Services in Cal, Fla, NJ, Texas, Ga, SC, NC
Yea milton Cat is pretty nice. The last time I went there our sales men took us on a tour of the whole place. Got to see the engine rebuild room, the welding area, injector room, and they also were doing a Cat rebuild on a 988d. It is one massive yard and shop. Amazing! Also they do have a lot less inventory then they use to, like everyone else said. I also went to the mascon show in the convention center this year and milton had a booth there but not on piece of equipment there, while deere, new holland, mack, and plenty of others had equipment there!?!?
Great pictures.
That's where I work.
Wonder about those backwards American Flags, I'm not real impressed with those.
It's supposed to be reversed on the right side of vehicles. Otherwise it would look like it was going backwards or retreating.
They sure do have alot of money there on the ground!
Hi 992G Super information, I operated a 15A around 1958 or 1959 that Peterson Tractor delivered to the project. The transmission had the same controls as the early 46A and it had a turbo on it. The 15A had a hyd. blade with tilt and angle and rippers.
Yea they told me the same thing. Deere builds to orders where cat channel stuffs(or used to any way). It has its pros and cons. I went to davenport last september and the lot was about 3/4 full and as bout as tight as you could get machines in the 3 or 4 acre lot.. I wished I would have driven on over to the dubuque works now but might go there this year.
Cat's been building-to-order (for many lines) for years now...
Milton Cat is not the largest Cat Dealer in the country. Warren Cat has 16 locations and is the leader in Power Systems and Engine sales...
Warren Cat has the most locations at 16...
my cat dealer has 27 branches tormont cat
And Finning is bigger than both of them combined, but that's not what the title says.
i agree bought my 980 from finnig in alberta they had a new on their and tormont would have ahd to order it fing is the biggest
after you see finning in edmonton and fort mac it makes toromont in winnipeg look like nothing.
Milton CAT does have alot of stuff, I can usually get parts for anything I am working on same day. If it is your first time going in to the Milford yard you might get lost in there
Finning has a large European and South America presence besides Canada which makes it Cat's largest dealership worldwide. But I don't know if their North American ops are larger than any other North American Cat dealership
Our local dealer, Thompson Tractor is by far not the largest but owns dealerships in Russia, as strange as that sounds.:beatsme http://www.tigermachinery.com/
Having worked for them not so long ago Finning has the following dealerships ........ Western Canada - Alberta, BC, Northwest Territories, & Yukon (4200 employees) Latin America - Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, & Uruguay (a total of 6600 employees in the 4 countries) UK - the former Leverton, Bowmaker, & Caledonian Tractor operations in England/Scotland/Wales, & the Mcormick-Macnaughton operations in Ireland. (1600 employees) So we're looking at over 12,000 employees in 6 countries on 3 continents. I know that's getting away from North America but still worth a comment IMHO. ..... plus they now have the Bucyrus dealerships in all the above territories, bought not so long back from Cat for US$300 million IIRC. When we talk about "biggest dealer" I guess someone needs to ask how is that decided..... area of territory, number of branches, number of machines sold, number of employees, turnover in $ terms, what ..? At one time around 10 years or so ago (not sure about now) Zeppelin in Germany was the biggest dealer in terms of machine sales because they had a stranglehold on the construction market & sold literally thousands of small size machines in their terroritory. At the same time Trakindo the Indonesian Cat Dealer (5500 employees) was the biggest in terms of turnover because of all the large-scale mining operations in Indo plus the fact that almost all the power generation in a country comprised on literally dozens of separate islands is supplied by diesel generators and Trakindo had the lion's share of the sales. So I guess at the end of the day it comes down to the basis that you use to calculate "the biggest" .........
Nige can't comment on any other dealers but apparently Trakindo will be delivering 6000 units this year. (that includes every product)
great pictures i will be at the local cat dealer tomorrow getting some pics so ill post them the local dealer close to me is peterson cat in portland