Which is more fun to run and what pays more excavation or crane equipment ?
Pay is probably goin to be pretty similar. I'd say that's were the similarities end tho. On a crane you are completely at someone else's mercy. And forget about a regular schedule if your in a taxi crane. Also your gonna work with a completely different group of guys almost every day. You really have to be pretty relaxed and able to roll with about anything to run a taxi crane. About the tenth time your stuck on a crane on a Friday night because your hooked to something you can't set down because they don't have the right parts you'll start to wonder were your life went wrong.
I never thought of it that way you are always at someone mercy, bad riggers bad job.I find the crane requires more concentration than excavation equipment my hoe i don't have to even think about what I'm doing i just look at the hole and somehow the bucket ends up there, maybe its because I'm relatively new at the crane but i still have to think ten feet ahead and plan the pick. but the crane is all concentration then nappy time, a good friend of mine is a helicopter pilot and flew in some hairy spots he says 90% boredom and 10% terror. I find the crane pays a little better the hoes go to work and pretty much runs at speed till the job is done, with the crane it may sit with the engine turned off for an hr at a time then sit idling the other 75% of the time, but on the down side " The repairs $$$ "
100% correct. When you get to that yard in the morning, you don't know if you'll be setting steel, picking an air conditioner, setting a modular house, or what.