So, I have a 1977 John Deere 510 Backhoe/Loader. I just replaced the two hydraulic lines for the bucket cylinder and was testing it out for about 10 minutes. While I was running it, I heard a PING! in the front of the machine in the engine area. The engine didn't stop or change speed but I shut it down. When I get out, there is half of the clamp that joins the hydraulic pump and crankshaft pulley on the ground to he side of the backhoe and the other half underneath. It appears the bolts have sheared off. After further inspection the crankshaft pulley was damaged in the clamp failure, which stinks because it has a $280 sticker price (currently looking for one cheaper). So, the crankshaft pulley must be replaced. So, I chained up the pulley to keep it from spinning and pull off the bolt and washer. So, now here is the dilemma. Is this a tapered bushing holding the pulley on? and if so, how in the world does it come off. There is NO room to wack this thing at all in there. I have tried a pulley puller and had no movement (actually broke the puller tip that sits in the threaded hole). Take a look. Does anyone have any idea? Any help would be appreciated greatly. THIS IS THE CLAMP THIS IS THE SPACE THE CLAMP CAME FROM BETWEEN THE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY AND THE PUMP DRIVE THIS IS WHAT I AM LOOKING AT AND WONDERING HOW I REMOVE IT????? Z Mountain Charlotte, NC 1978 John Deere 510 Backhoe/Loader
JDparts doesn't show any bushing, so I'm not sure. On a newer JD the pulley includes a raised portion that the oil seal rides on, that may be what the middle "bushing" is. You might have to do some more disassembly to get access to put a bigger puller on it, use some heat on the pulley, tap the pieces, etc. Definitely replace the oil seal while you're this far.
You can see the key slot, I'm pretty sure it's straight bore, but it's been on there a long time. Bigger puller, some heat, penetrating oil. No need to worry about the pulley, but be gentle with the crankshaft, yeah?
Looks very similar to a JD 1520 farm tractor I own. I believe this may be the drawing of that assembly. http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt
When I pasted that link, there was a drawing of that assembly there. Now I guess the backhoe model # will have to be re entered. When I bought the 1520, the bushings were worn out inside the pump coupler. Sounded almost like a bearing in the engine was knocking.
First thing is don't go and order another pulley. The stud which broke is screwed into the pulley. As I recall from the last rebuild on one of these engines, it is a straight snout crank, no taper. Has to be pulled ALL the way off. Easiest fix may be to pull the radiator and see if you can remove the broken stud out of the pulley in place then call your local JD dealer with P# R46345 (stud), bushing AR49427 (x4).
I appreciate everyone response. I have contacted the local service shop and they state that yes, it should pull off. They suggest a shorter bold be placed in the crankshaft that will bottom out the head of the bolt and then push on that with the pulley puller (to save the crankshaft treads). They suggested no heat but penetrating oil may be helpful. I like WRWTEXAN's post, and may try that. I wanted to see if I could get the pulley off, heat it up where the stud post broke, hammer it back and weld it. That pulley is $280 so repair is my choice. I will follow up with what the ultimate solution turns out being soon.
Take WRWTEXAN's advice he has been there done that. Otherwise why bother getting help from people that know what they are doing.The machine shop advice is right on about the bolt, bottom it out out so you don't damage the threads. I don't mean to offend you but I see all too often when someone will take the time to give solid , experienced advice only to be ignored.
I removed the radiator this evening to get better access to the pulley. Now I can really get in there. Tried to get the pulley off but it just wouldn't move. Tomorrow I will see if I can get the broken bolt out of the post location and examine the threads. If its okay, I may just buy new posts, thread it in and re-assemble. If not, I may attempt to heat it and see if I can make any headway.
Over the past two days I have pulled, yanked and pried on the crankshaft pulley. I soaked it in penetrating rust removing oil, heated it up, tried big pullers, small pullers, modified pullers, broke two different pullers and even pleaded with the pulley to come off. It wouldn't budge. Then, it broke, rendering a repair not possible. So, I got out the grinder and just started cutting every angle I could. Then beat it, then cut more, then beat it and then... wait... wait, it just moved!! By this time, the pullers wouldn't work since most of the pulley was gone. So, I got a cable and a come-a-long and winched it off. In this case, this was the last option. It's off! New one ordered. Ugg but yay too!
Well done! :drinkup Doesn't look like it was repairable anyway, had to come off one way or another.
Good job zmountain ! I would suggest that you install new fan belts. This the perfect time.
And an oil seal on the crankshaft. For future reference, cut one radial cut through the pulley and fairly close to the crank, pound a chisel in towards the crankshaft, if you can get that hub to split, it will pull right off.
So here she is, a shot of the new pulley going back on with the new clamp half and some clean up. Belts were not in so I haven't completed the installation. Just making sure everything goes on, etc. Should have it all back together and running when the belts get in today.