Hello . I have a 950H caterpillar wheel loader . This loader slobbers oil vapour all over the top of the engine then leaks down on the rest of the engine . This engine has the top breather connecting with a tube to another breather mounted on the side of the engine , then another tube going to the bottom of the engine towards the ground . So far I have replaced the Orings on the breathers to keep a good seal . My question can the side breather be capped off and just use the top breather on the valve cover . I will post the serial number . Also If Khansen is reading , if you have time no rush ... to send me the Manual to tear the motor out if needed . Thank you
Pictures breather 1 location top valve cover and breather 2 side of engine
Serial number
How much engine oil do you have to add as "top up" daily/weekly, etc. and how many hours/week does the loader work..? Slobbering out of the breather could simply be nothing more than a symptom that the engine is tired ........
Well the breather stopped leaking . The orings were rock hard and one had a split in it from being too hard . The oil leak is now slowing down but the engine seems to have a miss . I will run it for a while and check the oil consumption daily . To answer your question the oil consumption was heavy . I will let you know how I make out . Thanks
Exactly just how heavy is "heavy" in gallons or litres and what are the intervals in operating hours where you need to top up..? I probably have a chart somewhere that relates oil consumption per hour operated and the answer to "when is heavy oil consumption actually telling you that the engine needs pulling..?"
To be honest with you I’m not sure if it is pushing the oil out or leaking the oil out . So far I have stopped the leak at the 2 breathers however now that the breathers are secure the oil has now moved to the dipstick apparatus where a plastic sleeve meets a steel tube . The dipstick is mounted in a downwards fashion and oil runs downhill from the dipstick pipe to the plastic sleeve . I plan to seal that with a epoxy. A gallon per day would be my best guess . However now that the leaks are stopped I will have to work the machine to see what the consumption now is .
How does run on cold startup? Is there a can of either somewhere in the cab?
You obviously have a lot of blow by if the oil keeps finding new ways out. Our H was into cat this fall for a top end, same symptoms.
Take the oil filler cap off with the engine warm and running. Keep your face away from it . Is there of oil vapor and oil coming out like a smokestack ? Is it puffing ? If it is doing any of those things you have serious engine problems.
Yes . I do know blow/by well . Know it well . I also know that with today’s competition And the driving prices in declination that if times were better I would take that 950H right in to a certified Cat Dealer and get them right on it but because of the economic times I have to strategic plan my overhauling . I once heard of some men starting a club where they hung a blue eagle in their windows and then there was a abundance of work and men willing to work and everyone economically achieved success and harmony. Thanks I will let you all know what I’m doing and I really appreciate the feedback so far on this topic .
How many hours have you got on machine? Just interested in where you are at in the life cycle of the whole machine.
sounds like you already know the problem....you need a preacher...a phycologists....and a rich wife....goodluck
JohnC hours are just over 11K
In a word - with those hours it's "tired" ........
Thanks for the info. Just a couple of thoughts. I've seen machines with a lot more hours than that and nowhere near as much slop around the breathers. You might think about checking the air intake connections and soft parts. Have you had issues with turbos and fuel systems in the past?
I have replaced the turbo and the fuel system I had off however no problems with the fuel but one that I’m not very familiar with ... the huie style pump . There was a oil line leak a year ago and to get to it I needed to take the pump off along with other components. I was hoping to get more like 15k out of the engine before I tore it down however I know many machines get a working over at the 8-10 K hours . Maybe tomorrow I will take a short video clip of the girl so you can all listen to it run . Thanks