Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Crankshaft grinder

Old Doug ยท 2014-03-18 21:22

I was told that they made a grinder that could grind a crankshaft with it still in the block. Is there such a thing? A older buddy that is gone now said that he saw or was told about a dozer that had a problem with a bearing back around the early 40s. It was not very close to anything so the ran 110 to it throught the fence wire and ground the crank were it was.

Replies11
  1. #1td25c2014-03-18 21:46

    Don't know of one Old Doug . I did have to work on a rod journal on my TD25C . It locked up & spun in the rod I pulled it down on the spot in the tractor and used a small belt sander to clean up the crank & rod . Then installed new bearing & put it back together so we could limp it back to the shop . We made it back fine . Then pulled the DT 817 out & had the crank turned 0.10 under and installed new oil pump, bearings ,pistons & sleeves .

  2. #2Scrub Puller2014-03-18 22:08

    Yair . . . Old Doug/td25c. . It's not what we know as "crankshaft grinding" but it used to be a standard procedure on large marine engines with scraped bearings to grind out damage and bring journals back to truth by hand. I have never done it but have known several blokes who have. An old mate of mine used to tell the story of a journal on a straight eight Mirlees he worked on for five weeks. The technique is a split and hinged wooden block and lots of sanding sheets and patience. Cheers.

  3. #3d9gdon2014-03-18 22:11

    I've heard of one from the old days...I think it was from my machine shop, they would grind it in the field so you could get it running and sold, but wouldn't guarantee it. I'd think that sort of stuff ended when max rpms went above 1500.

  4. #4td25c2014-03-18 22:22

    I could see how that would work Scrub :thumbsup Although hope I never need to do it again

  5. #5sheepfoot2014-03-18 22:37

    Yes they did make them way back then to do rod bearing in a engine still in the block. Had a name like Winona Van Norman I think.

  6. #6sandy2014-03-19 00:01

    Marine diesel in place grinding try marinediesels.co.uk maintenance and repairs Remachining a ZA40 Bottom end after a bearing failure. could not work out how to post the link but this should work sandy

  7. #7sheepfoot2014-03-19 00:32

    There is one on E Bay in the Uk for $750.00 US. I remember one at the dealership in the early 70's. Just a few years ago!.

  8. #8Nige2014-03-19 07:12

    The bigger the engine, in other words the harder to remove the crank, therefore the more likely it is to grind the crank in situ. As posted above on big marine diesels the crank will be ground in situ because the engine is built round the crank and its supporting structure (no oil pan as such) and to remove the crank would literally mean tearing the ship apart to get the engine out. I'd wager some of the big marine diesel cranks could go well in excess of 50 tons. Go to this link and click on the video for the 14RC-flex96C, for some reason I can't post a direct link to it. That's a big engine ............ http://www.wartsila.com/en/media/videos#_0

  9. #9oarwhat2014-03-19 08:02

    I had it done on a 855 Cummins back in the day because we wanted to sell it. I remember the guy turned the engine by turning the tires and picking the right gear with some contraption his dad built. I told the new owner about it and not to lug it ever. It lasted two years before he blew it pulling a hill in too high a gear.

  10. #10Old Doug2014-03-19 20:56

    I saw one forsale.It was like a electric diegrinder with a grinding stone that was as big around as the bearing journal was wide. You ground with the end of the stone.By the way it looked a cane like hook went over the journal and held it in place.Like d9gdon stated it usefullnes probable end with the higher rpm engines.

  11. #11fatih2014-03-22 09:10

    I watched video, it is really tramendous...