Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Perkins 4.236 oil pressure gauge

Buickspec6231 ยท 2014-03-19 22:35

I have a Perkins 4.236 diesel in my Massey-Ferguson 50H (TLB). My plan is to add an oil pressure gauge instead of relying on just the idiot light in the dash. I am not the original owner of this machine and the farmers before me got in to the original wiring a bit. I want to have a better ability to monitor the engine vitals and trust the gauges much more than a light that comes on when there is already an issue. Having an oil pressure light on the dash when my back is to it and I am running the hoe does me no good, so I may install a buzzer or bell in to the system too. I was just wondering if anyone has done this on their engine before, or if anyone knows the best spot for me to plumb into? This machine is for my own private use as I do some work around the land I bought to eventually build my own pole barn and/or home. Thanks for looking on. ~Dan

Replies2
  1. #1Delmer2014-03-19 22:54

    A buzzer should be easy to find, you should be able to wire it parallel to the idiot light and it will work fine. Remove the oil pressure sender/switch, and add a tee for the second sender/line to the gauge. It's usually located at the end of the run, so it will see the lowest pressure.

  2. #2Buickspec62312014-03-19 23:36

    Thanks for the response. That was my original thought. Probably the easiest way to go. Now, for my next question... Since this is a European manufactured machine, does anyone know if they use our standard NPT pipe thread or if they are using BSPT or BSPP pipe thread? Finding BSPT and BSPP threads might take a little more shopping locally, or I will have to resort to an internet source.