Anyone operate one of these? I haven't heard much about crawler loaders. https://www.equipmentjournal.com/construction-equipment/crawler-loaders-john-deere/
I have not run either of those John Deere's. Only Case and Caterpillar. But I will say that track loaders have been around a lot of years. I think Caterpillar started making them in the 1930's. They rarely ever are called crawler loaders in the area where I live.
Have a Deere 655k and love it !
Crawler loader / track loader doesn't matter in the right hands get it done !
I regularly operate the grandfather of this machine. A JD 450C track loader. If equipped with a 4 in 1 bucket, they do a fair imitation of a dozer but with the triple grouser tracks will probably run out of traction before it runs out of horse power. If you need more traction or floatation than a wheel loader or need to worry about tire punctures they are as handy as a shirt pocket.
Not really in the same class as an old 450C. It's much bigger, rear engine, hydrostat and has double grousers for more traction.
They are a Leibheir with a JD engine
Not since 2008. https://www.roadsbridges.com/liebherr-and-john-deere-modify-crawler-deal
That explains a lot I never get around anything that new
I realize that the machine mentioned is much larger and has more "operator friendly" controls than my 450C. I was referring to track loaders in general. Rick
Track loaders have purpose in specific regions. Some guys love them, others (like myself) don't have a use for them. Not saying I couldn't do a lot of what i do with one, but there is too much I can't.
I own one, very useful and was also cheap to purchase as opposed to a small excavator which would have performed better given my projects. They do have their place, not the best for some aspects as bulk pushing(dozer) or final grade but are still effective for those, unlike dozer can load a truck or move items easier to a pile, can swap bucket to forks or grapple and get other roles but still not as handy as excavator. Smaller footprint than excavator, less required as to specific trailers as to hauling, other small details.
Track loaders are very versatile and productive machines.The first one I owned was in 1980,a 175B international,very good powerfull machine a little nose heavy. I cleared and burned and cut foundation holes. Next was a 175C great machine more power,next was a Komatsu D57 bought in 1994 and still have it, very good machine not as powerfull as the 175's and slower but better balanced and have oscilating track frames so it doesn't get stuck as easy. Next was a 977L very smooth powerfull and well balanced. I have two excavators but would much rather use the loaders as excavators are only efficient within their swing and I rarely need to move things this close. If you put a grapple rake in place of the bucket they will clear at least double as fast as an excavator. The last large clearing job I did we put out 3 loads of fir logs a day and all the stumps out, branches raked in the same pile and logs decked with me on the 977 and my freind cutting butts. I push the trees over with the stumps attached aiming the tops toward the burn pile so raking is shorter then put a tooth in the stump and roll the stump which hopefully breaks off branches and cleans the stump some. When burning I would rather use my 977 than a excavator because when the pile gets hollowed out you can push it in to the center with a lot more power than a hoe and this action will get the ash loosened up and out of the pile. The 977 will push over a fir tree or maple or cotton wood with no digging of the roots up to about 30 inch diameter after that better off falling it and I have a stump splitter on the back that makes taking the halved or quartered stumps out way easier and the stumps are a lot cleaner this way. The draw backs are it takes a lot longer to be able to operate efficiently, when I first ran one I thought it was horrible but now that I am a dinosaur I love my 977. Also in soft soils the narrow pads and short track frames will allow a person to get stuck which is a lot of fun. Raking branches or grading with an excavator has got to be the most frustrating thing I have ever seen. A few jobs before this last one a young man came up to me and said he would have cleared this rightaway with an excavator and a dozer with a rake, perhaps the new math has him confused I think this is double the number of machines. One 977 cleared it burned it and graded it way faster than any excavator could have.
Looks like Deere has a lot to offer on the newer designed machines,albeit a nice price tag im sure...that ramp down idle control could save a lot of fuel over the life of the machine..wonder if you could hack into it after the warrantee is up and increase the HP? there's a lot of talk over in the ag business of deere locking its customers out of the onboard tractor computer ECM,you have to have dealer codes and the like to access onboard service data,make changes,etc....Like Rick,Im old school Cat 977/983 all mechanical machines,my favorite,no computers whatsoever,mines barn kept..the old International 175 crawler loaders and old deere 350/450 machines were good in the day too..hard to find them nowadays that aren't worn out
Getting harder still to find decent parts to keep them moving.
Always been track loaders to me... heard them called all kinds of different things here in New England. Bucket dozer and end loader are a couple. If I were so fortunate as to come to work and find the company had purchased a 977L 14X machine with a Petersen clam bucket, I would hire a sign painter and have my name painted on it and at night I would unbolt the seat and take it home with me at night LOL! What a great demo/ clearing tool they are. They will absolutely move some dirt with a GP.
Not any more. The "K" series are all John Deere.
Show us the engine on that!!!!! LOL
Ye asked and Ye received! Sorry the pictures are not better. The flash on my camera failed the day before. First pic from the left side, second pic the right side and the third pic looking under the raised cab.
How in The Heck is one supposed to work on that buried alive monstrosity?
my question would be why even put a door on that