Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Crawler loader

Stan R · 2025-12-16 09:29

I am looking to get a track loader around the 15k range, I have a lot of rocky fill to move and my tractor doesn't do it well,any recommendations to buy or to stay away from thanks

Replies12
  1. #1Tyler d4c2025-12-16 11:44

    Double your budget and whatever you buy make sure tge undercarrage is good. 15000 you may find a usable machine but it maybe a money pit. For 30000 you may also end up with a expensive pile of repairs

  2. #2Simon C2025-12-16 13:24

    Very good advice. A new skid steer is $125K here in Canada, dozers are way more than that. And only buy a running unit is my recommendation unless you are super capable as these units are not the friendliest to work on. Some guys rent a mini excavator ( 5 ton ) and move the dirt or rocks into a pile and use a skid steer to haul as they move quite fast. Little money invested and in one day could move 20 dump truck loads or more, no headaches or surprise bils for 40-50K which is not much on big stuff these days. May be a solution and new expeerience for you, Simon C

  3. #3skyking12025-12-16 16:56

    a regular Tractor Loader Backhoe (TLB) can also move large volumes by mining it as @Simon C posted above, then flip around and move that loose pile and repeat. The key improvement is you can move along pretty quickly if you grade a haul road for it.

  4. #4Simon C2025-12-16 18:45

    That technique works well and in an 8 hour day of non-stop there is a lot of material moved, spread, or loaded and no repair bill to have to deal with. Even a 5 ton excavator can swing and dump into a pile or multiple piles a lot of material in one day. A 410 Deere or a 590 Case with good size bucket is strong and pretty fast. Simon C

  5. #5FSFarm2025-12-16 19:13

    What size are you looking for? Any particular brands?

  6. #6Stan R2025-12-17 17:45

    Don't care what brand,I also looking to use it to haul wood out ,I have a mini excavator, 7300lbs,,and tractor with winch, both to light for hauling logs on steep terrain ,I want to get a 10-12 excavator, but can't seem to sell mine,I have a 20ft high cliff on my property near the house I wanted to trim down

  7. #7FSFarm2025-12-17 19:29

    If you got one with a winch on it, it would work great for dragging logs. I have a old JD 555 and it runs great. They were known for transmission problems but mine has always ran great. The old case machines people either love them or hate them. I don't know much about cat machines but I've heard they're reliable.

  8. #8Welder Dave2025-12-18 02:17

    A Cat 931B or C is generally a good machine. The Cat transmission is pretty reliable and trouble free. Need to check the engine for excessive blow by but they have some regardless due to only 2 ring pistons. Not sure you could find a decent one for $15K though.

  9. #9hseII2026-02-21 18:20

    Don’t overlook the International/Dresser 125E or its little brother the 100E.

  10. #10CM19952026-02-21 19:44

    I like that QC! Do you have any problems finding parts?

  11. #11Stan R2026-02-21 19:58

    Like IH equipment would take it over a deere any day! Also like case

  12. #12hseII2026-02-21 20:42

    No. These loaders were/are prevalent. Same as a TD8E.