Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Crazy Idea or What?

upnover ยท 2009-07-13 22:09

I've run into several people lately who have said they have always wanted to run an excavator, dig a hole and lift something. This got me thinking. Would people pay 40 or 50 bucks to come out to my farm, get a 10 minute lesson on the hoe and let them thrash around for another 1/2 hour on the hoe? I'm sure they couldnt get into too much trouble. I think I saw somewhere in the UK where there was an amusement park set up with heavy equipment and they had mostly JCB stuff running around. Perhaps our friends across the pond could chime in here.

Replies26
  1. #1amunderdog2009-07-13 22:53

    Oh your insurance agent is going to just love the commission off this idea. Ever seen what they charge for a 10 minute helicopter ride? Anyway i see you are in the great North. So maybe it is different there. Here the liability would take any profit or fun out of that idea.

  2. #2upnover2009-07-14 23:23

    Where is the risk? My land, level, no underground utilities, supervised. Maybe I dont see it. The risk is pretty low.

  3. #3willie592009-07-14 23:28

    Hey, look at what some people buy/sell on Ebay...people will pay for anything. Have 'em sign a "I'm not liable" form and have them pay you to yank those anoyying stumps out of your property!

  4. #4upnover2009-07-15 00:17

    There you go sort of like Huck Finn getting all the kids to whitewash the fence!

  5. #5willie592009-07-15 00:24

    Amen bro! At what point are we all goin' to tell the government and the lawyers "this is my business...mind your own!"

  6. #6amunderdog2009-07-15 00:37

    http://web1.msue.msu.edu/imp/modtd/33139716.html Releases Are Not Binding Some recreation operators believe they relieve themselves of this obligation to an invitee by obtaining releases from paying guests, or by displaying signs that imply that the invitee uses the facilities at his own risk and the operator will not be responsible for accidents. Operators should be aware that they cannot contract away their legal responsibility. While this practice may tend to discourage the filing of suits, it will not usually provide a defense to legal action.

  7. #7stock2009-07-15 04:38

    the biggest thing will be the supervision of the site while they are operating them diggers ,and of course the supervisor will have to be competent on the equipment http://www.diggerland.com/

  8. #8maddog2009-07-15 08:41

    I don't think I'd take an expensive piece of equipment and let any Tom **** Or Harry run it. Never fails to happen, question; "would could they possibly do?" Answer; murphys law "just about anything you never expected." Now of course if one as $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$${did I say $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$} then by all means let the strangers in the house and have a kegger party. This is just my 2 pennys worth. It would be nice to have a place like your describing but you may want to be insured to the hill.

  9. #9strott2009-07-15 16:04

    The theme park you mentioned in the UK is known as 'Diggerland' Yes you can drive some machines but functions are limited e.g mini excavators with the tracks and 360 slew restricted. I have never been but I believe it is well supervised - the machines are all JCB and the park is run by a major national plant hire company who sell on the machines they use at the park after 200-250 hours e.t.c (I would of thought they buy the machines in bulk and cheaply and then sell them on at cost e.t.c to minimise costs) - there must be money in it but most likely from advertising and food/confectionary sales e.t.c

  10. #10dal9292009-07-17 08:56

    already out there http://www.steamboat-vacations.com/...onstruction_Equipment_Play_Area_Activity.html

  11. #11Hendrik2009-07-17 19:28

    For one thing I would have a remote cut out device fitted, so the supervisor can shut the machine down in case some idiot gets into trouble. How long have you been using excavators? The statement that the risk is pretty low seems dubious. In order for this to have any chance of success you need to be aware of the risks, such as people digging a nice hole and then falling into it, or driving the ex onto a mount of dirt and then falling off that and the risk of people (especially children) running into the slew area. I think if you go into this with an attitude that there is very little risk you will end up with a giant law suit. My advice is to do this properly or not at all. You need fenced off areas for a start where spectators can watch from. Remember if you let inexperienced people use your machine on your property you are liable for their stupidity. You can have all the release forms in the world but unless you take every possible precaution to avoid accidents, any judge will rule against you.

  12. #12upnover2009-07-17 21:53

    My idea was not to give them the keys and go in the house and check out the Heavy Equipment Forum while they "play". The idea was to first show them the controls, take them to the safe area, then let them run the machine while I supervise. Yes I realize there is risk to everything we do, even getting out of bed in the morning but in the right setting and with the right training this is not brain surgery were doing. This has made for good discussion in any case. Anyway my .02 cents.

  13. #13kingmort2009-07-18 21:33

    The downfallo of society in a paragraph. Nobody is allowed to be held responsible for their own actions:beatsme

  14. #14AtlasRob2009-07-19 09:57

    In answer to your question, yes people will pay for the experience and the link posted to Diggerland in the UK is a perfect example, they now have 4 sites across the country so it is a crowd puller. BUT you have to go about it properly. Our HSE your OSHA from a very early stage to develop a same way of operating. This includes isolation of some parts, and remote kill switches.

  15. #15KSSS2009-07-19 15:41

    Although I am no OSHA expert, I don't think they are going to have much to say about it. No one is exployed to dig, it is no different IMHO than a theme park only you run heavy equipment instead of bumper cars (hopefully they don't become one in the same). Now your insurance carrier and your lawyer would likely have a lot to say about how you conducted the operation, but OSHA should not be a big factor except with your own employees who help run the operation.

  16. #16fuelbaron2009-07-24 09:38

    I bet it would be a hit in the right part of the country-with supervision, rleases, and plenty of open space

  17. #17AtlasRob2009-07-24 18:17

    I was maybe wrong in my comparison of your OSHA and our Health and Safety Executive. Our HSE covers all aspects of life, if your breathing, then it comes within their remit. If you've stopped breathing and you happen to be within a work enviroment then you are definetly within their remit.

  18. #18shutupandholdon2009-07-24 20:10

    Aren't there laws about pimp'n your hoe?

  19. #19upnover2009-07-24 20:15

    Hey, I did a job the other day where I had to give the customers kids 5 minutes of swing time in the hoe! Mind you they were on my lap and I had the option of taking over but they were thrilled...and I even got paid for it cause the hour meter keeps turning no matter what.

  20. #20stock2009-07-25 01:46

    Under our rules it is considered a place of work,and this is defined as " place of work includes any,or part of any place(whether or not within or forming part of a building or structure),Land or other location at,in upon or near which work is carried on whether occasional or otherwise "

  21. #21Hendrik2009-07-25 20:57

    Well that's the thing, if money changes hands it is considered work, upnover is working, even if he is standing there supervising someone playing with his machine.

  22. #22Hanomag2009-08-15 13:36

    Childrens theme parks for excavators and other stuff. See www.diggerland.com for details. This company (which is part of a very large rental co) has several parks in the UK. All the machines are very tightly controlled, I understand that the staff can stop machine engines remotely. Regards

  23. #23stock2009-08-15 15:35

    should have read the thread hanomag!!!!

  24. #24CaribooHarry2009-08-16 23:08

    There must be a market for this,and it should be possible but it will take a lot of work and money to make it safe and to get adequate insurance. but having said that I would encourage you to pursue it further, doing your "due diligence" and other research before spending too much money. As a retired Chartered Insurance Broker who specialized in construction liability who had to wait until retirement to get his hands on and move some dirt my advice is to make sure you deal with a major broker who knows the construction business and has connections with Lloyds of London. Go for it!

  25. #25upnover2009-09-08 20:18

    Thanks for all the replies both positive and negative. I recenlty moved the digger to my property in BC and dont think the idea will work anymore.

  26. #26JDMGrading2009-10-04 18:30

    I honestly thought it was a great idea. Back when I was younger I could'nt think of anything more fun than sitting in a air conditioned cab, blaring the radio and baling dirt all day. I dont think running a JCB would be very much fun anyways.