Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Creative uses for old cylinder rods???

TreeHogger ยท 2014-03-27 16:52

Gentlemen - just throwing this out there... my bucket cylinder for my 490D JD was deemed to be non-rebuildable (scored barrel, trashed 'piston' with the rod having a 'sweeping' bend). Any good ideas on how I may re-purpose my cylinder rod? (Sure, I can make a cannon from my barrel, but there has to be some value in the rod...) It's too big for pin stock, and too heavy for a pry bar... Someone has done something useful and creative with these! Thanks in advance for ideas! ~ Mark

Replies7
  1. #1CM19952014-03-27 18:42

    Scrap. $.11 a pound here. I know it's not a creative solution but it's what I would do with it.

  2. #2CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-03-27 18:55

    Take her to the lathe. make one end pointy and weld the other side to your loader bucket. Now you have a round bale spear for free!

  3. #31466IH2014-03-27 21:09

    Cut it down to different lengths and use the pieces for press tooling and find a thinner piece to weld to it to format a T and make a pin punch Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

  4. #4lantraxco2014-03-27 23:18

    It's likely that a factory chrome rod is induction hardened on the outer edge, if it is I would NOT use it for anything involving pressing or hammering, induction hardened rod likes to shatter and possibly expel shrapnel at a rate of knots.

  5. #5Buickspec62312014-03-28 00:12

    I use one as a big heavy punch. I'm not sure what cylinder is out of, but I got it while I worked at the local Freightliner/Western Star dealership from the scrap bin. I have used it 100's of times at home and at the shop while I was still in that line of work hitting it with a 3lb sledge up to an 8lb sledge. The cylinder rod I am using is about 2ft in length and 1.25 inch diameter. I like it because it is plenty long enough for me or a helper to keep their hands clear of the danger zone. The rod I am using still has the threads on both ends and those are peened over nicely now.

  6. #6Andrew_D2014-03-28 07:07

    Used to use 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" rods to make implement hitch pins on the farm. Today, lots of the bigger tractors are using larger pins - 2", 2 1/2" so no as many rods getting re-used. I still don't throw them out though. Can always find a use for some shafting when you have a lathe in the shop! Andrew

  7. #7TreeHogger2014-03-28 08:25

    Right on Gents - all points! Thanks, Mark