Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Credit/Debit card fraud possibly related to the Home Depot breach – Please read

CM1995 ยท 2014-09-24 09:52

My wife was reviewing our company bank statement last night and noticed two charges to the Volvo Shippensburg PA facility, one for $900 and one for $400. She asked me if I had bought Volvo parts online from PA last week (Thursday and Friday), which my response was no, we don't have a Volvo machine. This incident could be related to the Home Depot credit card breach that's been in the news. I use my card a fair amount at HD for small things. Got on the phone with the CC company, our bank's phone lines were down , and they told us our bank had flagged my card yesterday as being compromised. Canceled those two cards last night and getting new ones. If you have used your CC or debit card at the Home Depot this year, I would have your cards canceled and get new ones. We should be able to contest the charges and get our money back. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Replies7
  1. #1overworked2014-09-24 13:25

    I got a recording from my credit card company about home depot and it stated they would take care of charges.

  2. #2Deeretracks2014-09-24 13:44

    Home Depot is also offering free 12mo. of a credit monitoring service for anyone used a card during the time period of the breach.

  3. #3CM19952014-09-24 19:32

    That's the same info we got from our bank today. They have been handling many issues tied to the HD breach. The transactions are canceled and we'll get the money back into the account in a couple of days. Also have new cards with new numbers. We saw where HD was offering 12 months of credit monitoring and wondered if that included businesses too?

  4. #4lumberjack2014-09-24 21:27

    You shouldn't have any trouble getting the charges reversed. Good luck with it!

  5. #5Deeretracks2014-09-25 00:29

    I didn't read the fine print in the letter I got before I chucked it. I would assume business accts would be included considering how much of HD's business is from small contractors with a credit card.

  6. #6Tinkerer2014-09-25 08:10

    My credit card was compromised when Target was hacked. I didn't have any unauthorized charges and I was sent a new card. Target offered free credit monitoring also and I declined. I have a question about the credit monitoring. If you authorized the merchant like Home Depot in CM's case, how much information do they have access to ?? I understand how credit ratings work, but how would Home Depot be able to help CM ?

  7. #7Deeretracks2014-09-25 11:29

    I can only assume that HD gets the bill for your credit monitoring service for the 1st year but has no access to the account. I don't really trust these services anyway and you know damn well after 12mos. they are going to start billing you unless you remember to call and cancel.