Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cross shaft

63 caveman · 2018-09-28 14:56

I,m looking at a 1999 mack RD688S and the cross shaft runs under the clutch throw out bearing (so no way to grease it) is this normal or is it possible it was put in up side down? vin # 1M2P270C5XMO39743 with eaton fuller 8 speed model RTOF14908LL

Replies6
  1. #1_Weldman_2018-09-28 15:18

    Yep looks normal from what I can see from the pictures, one hole is for push clutch another hole for pull clutch system. I wouldn't grease it for fear of getting that on the clutch.

  2. #263 caveman2018-09-28 16:29

    Thanks Spud_Monkey! I had not seen this set up before. The trans is making some strange noises, the fluid came out clean. The only thing I see is the PTO drive has no backlash (a new clutch was put in less than 1,000 miles ago that I did not do, just could not get to it in time). I guess I will shim out the drive for .008" to .012" back lash and see if the noise goes away. Thanks again!

  3. #3Jonas3022018-09-28 19:15

    To grease the throwout bearing you have to hold the clutch in to expose the zerk to bad they didnt put in the drop hose when the clutch was out

  4. #4Tenwheeler2018-09-28 20:48

    If it does not have the fitting mentioned it is possible to install the drop hose without pulling the trans. Have to remove the clutch fork bolts and slide both clutch shafts out some. Turn the throughout bearing upside down. Install the 90, nipple and 2nd 90. turn it some and install the hose. Then reassemble. It is no fun.

  5. #5Truck Shop2018-09-28 21:05

    Mack is not the only one to install the fork on the bottom, but with that said years ago some bells had a 1" hole on the top side of the bell. On cab overs the grease hose was attached to a front bolt on the shift bar housing on conventional's it ran down the right side of the bell. Truck shop

  6. #6Wytruckwrench2018-09-28 23:03

    I have also seen Mack bell housings that had a cover bolted on the top. Had to pull the floor plate out to get to it. Was on older Mack’s. Don’t know about the newer ones.