Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

LED headlights

_Weldman_ ยท 2018-10-01 01:30

Searched high and low and don't see anyone putting LED's on these trucks for headlights like the old ones with halogen lights on this forum. Anyone ever do this and what year make model did you do it to and was you satisfied? Be nice to see pictures or videos of the outcome versus the old. Was looking at some from Truck Lite to put on my old 1986 International S1954 as not many used Grote ones from my searches.

Replies9
  1. #1Crummy2018-10-01 08:34

    I've had two older trucks now that I switched to LED headlights- the T800 (2000 w/4"x6") & now the IH 4700 (2000 w/5"x7"). That was almost the first thing I did in the IH, such an improvement. Unless I was where it snowed a lot I wouldn't worry about the heated ones too much. I'm way too cheap to buy J.W. Speaker so I've got the Truck Lites. I don't have any pictures of "old vs. new" it's a huge difference. The incandescent lights look yellow, not very bright, and the LED's have a really wide pattern compared. Get them adjusted properly no problems with oncoming traffic- the cutoff line is really sharp on low beam. Make sure you get FMVSS/DOT compliant lights with the lettering on the lens if you have any chance of interacting with CVE as they will check. Once each in WA, MT, & AZ for me on that.

  2. #2_Weldman_2018-10-01 10:42

    Well it snows where I am going in MT -25 degrees I seen and occasionally snows here in WA so guess I need the heated ones. These from Truck lite were used in military applications is what one thing I like and they are made in the US plus they have heated ones. According to what I seen on the JW Speaker headlights on average size vehicle height there is dead spot in front of the vehicle of no light, I figured that would be worse on rigs like ours.

  3. #3Hallback2018-10-06 16:49

    Absolutely miserable to be the oncoming vehicle, terrible in fog & snow also. I am not a fan. Every time an oncoming truck in the woods has those damn lights on which 99.9% are aimed incorrectly I just want to stop and take an Axe and chop them out.

  4. #4Truck Shop2018-10-06 18:29

    We have tried just about every combination of bulbs available. And those aftermarket kits are mostly POS. I run a set of driving lights on the tow truck with halogen sealed beams. I just aimed the driving lights down ward to match the low beams and I can see just fine. I totally agree with Hallback those LED's in on coming traffic are tough on the vision especially in bad weather. Truck Shop

  5. #5_Weldman_2018-10-06 21:48

    I feel the same on when they are adjusted wrong and they are obnoxious. Yet every new vehicle is getting them or the other ones rarely any with halogen anymore. I'm getting older and hard to see at night after years of welding. You should have one of those new Subarus behind you with auto high beams, damn near drove me nuts.

  6. #6Hallback2018-10-07 08:43

    I feel bad for the guys that are on the receiving end of the headlights in the new superduties. All 4 bulbs are continually lit. I am always getting highbeamed and have even aimed them down!

  7. #7funwithfuel2018-10-07 17:30

    Even worse with all 4 plus driving lights in bumper. I don't see the need to be seen from orbit. Many times, I have to take the shoulder to recover a bit. I don't know how they are legal. In Illinois, the law says no more than 4 forward facing clear lamps or headlights. Typically if you had driving lights, they cut off when high beams came on. Not any more!

  8. #8_Weldman_2018-10-07 22:26

    All these multiple lights are yes a PITA though also have to lay gripe on these idiots that black out their taillights, *** shouldn't that be illegal too? (Rhetorical question) Any who looks like most people hate these LED lights are on receiving end of them and everyone liking them are far few between due to cost, unless vehicle came with them they aren't changing them out.

  9. #9kenh2018-10-07 23:57

    With power mirrors a bit of playing with the adjustment will direct the high beams back into their face! They will promptly dim or go around.