Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Crossing Ravines

ak_snowbear ยท 2011-04-20 01:18

I am looking at a project that has several ravine crossings. Most are small, a few are deep and fairly narrow. Eventually they will have bridges capable of supporting 10k#s. The table below shows Ordinary High Water and span. The bridge designs are sills on the banks so the ravine widths are a few feet narrower than the bridge span. The depths are greater than OHW but I don't know by how much. What techniques do you use for crossing ravines?

Replies12
  1. #1ak_snowbear2011-04-20 01:20

    fixed attachment

  2. #2ak_snowbear2011-04-20 01:28

    attachments = :Banghead

  3. #3mitch5042011-04-20 01:42

    what are you trying to cross with? big hoe, medium hoe, mini ex, truck? with a 20 ton hoe you can probably work your way across most of those; depending on the banks, and what you are allowed to do as far as reshaping them.

  4. #4ak_snowbear2011-04-20 03:03

    Sorry forgot the machine details, Cat 318. Not allowed to excavate banks. Suppose to leave as natural as possible The area is still covered in snow so I can't get an eye on the crossings. I suggested building the bridges as we go but the project doesn't have $ to do it that way. I am looking for guidance on walking into and out of the 5-6 deep/wide ravines. The project is on the lower slopes of a mountain and they are snow melt drainages, few have year round water more than a few inches deep. Sounds like they want someone out there as soon as the majority of the snow is gone. Do I walk in forward/down until I can reach solid ground on the other side then raise front of tracks while going down until they reach the far side, continue crossing easing the rear down as I crawl/pull out. Or ??? It's gonna make a mess of the banks no matter what.

  5. #5stumpjumper832011-04-20 07:17

    ever seen the mats that pipeliners use? 8x8 hardwood timbers bolted together to make a 4'x16' plank. I'd get some of them and cross the ravines that what if they are too wide to jump and to narrow to climb down and they dont what you digging the bank all up. With only 11'4" track frames, dont think that your going to be able to just jump them and if the banks are undercut coming back up could be an issue if one were to stick strickly to tracking down and up. If you dont want to use the mats then I'd make up a 30' temporary bridge & put a set of wheels under it at like 10 feet in so I could pull it with the excavator, and be sure that its light enough for you to crane into place.

  6. #6wolf442011-04-20 17:54

    A couple of i beams and drive right on over . I have used w36 @ 135 for 20+ feet

  7. #7Dr. Ernie2011-04-20 22:46

    I can not resist, so I will be a smart butt here, the best thing... a Menzi Muck... thoes ravines not even a chalange, the Menzi will leave very limited damage, just a few crushed plants, that is the truth. p.s. I am able to come on up... I have a A-91

  8. #8JBGASH2011-04-21 01:33

    Use the pipeline mats and a winch tractor above you hooked on to help

  9. #9Dr. Ernie2011-04-21 07:20

    How is the dozer going to get on the other side to help pull across? IF you can get the dozer across you can get the excavator across.

  10. #10JBGASH2011-04-21 08:12

    I would haul winch tractor around so it can be above and across the ravine. Now maybe I am missing something here, but why are you doing it anyway and not allowed to use the excavator?

  11. #11ak_snowbear2011-04-21 23:12

    Thanx gents. A rig mat or portable "bridge" is on the list of options. Also considering trees lashed together. Will have a dozer onsite but wasn't planned until after rough in is done. May rethink that. Also looking at renting a bigger machine. Waiting for the snow to melt so we can get an eye on the job. Dr. E, a spider would be the ticket! I can only dream of having access to a machine like that.

  12. #12dirtdigr2011-04-23 11:46

    Done this before> Used an old railroad flatcar they are inexpensive and fairly available. You can skid them easliy, sling them for positioning and if need be double them up for width. Cut them in half if needed. When you're done and they are removed you'll find there is very little if any enviromental impact. Good luck.