I recently built a dump truck using an 04 sterling and added a 16ft crossmemberless Crown bed to it. I did not realize the bed would come without crossmembers or that it was even possible to build one without. I made the deal for a bed they already had built to save on the build time. I typically haul gravel or dirt, not usually demolition materials. My question is: does anyone one have experience with this type of bed and what are some things that you wouldn't do with it that you would do with a normal dump bed? After internet searching, I see several companies make these types of beds, just doesn't look very stout to me!
Not sure what crown brand is. I have a 16ft Crysteel dump box that has hauled everything over the last 10-12years with no problems. Mine is a semi U shape design with a AR400 floor. Only has two rails that run the length of the box, with a headlift hoist. I would buy the same box again.
Memberless is the only style you should buy. All that's been used up here for 20+ years. I have a bibeau that has hauled everything from blacktop to refrigerator sized concrete. Has held up very well for 24yrs old. When the floor gets hammered it doesn't create the washboard effect and keep the dirt from sticking, it bends the other way and the dirt still slides.
Cool, thanks guys. That's what I wanted to hear. No one around here has anything like this. Only washboard style beds. Lol. Crown is a bed manufacturer in west plains Missouri. Most beds in this area comes from Davis in Little Rock but Crown already had this bed built and they were both about the same price, which were thousands less than Heil or a couple others I got bids from.
One of the only problems that I have seen with them is cracking in the back near the floor in the crossbar and then allows the side's to flop in and out. But I have a brand new to install on one of my truck's. As long as it's AR steel it should be fine.