Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Crowdfunding a Hole in the Ground

hvy 1ton ยท 2016-11-26 01:16

I'm not really sure what to think of this, but it is interesting. They've already had to stop for fuel once. https://www.holidayhole.com/

Replies27
  1. #1Birken Vogt2016-11-26 01:36

    Looks like a bunch of bah-humbug liberals trying to stomp on Christmas just as it is starting...look for more to come

  2. #2lantraxco2016-11-26 02:10

    No, it looks like a typical scheme whereby they fleece stupid people out of some money. As Red Foreman would say, "Dumbasses" Unbelievable.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2016-11-26 05:12

    Unbelievable.. just f'n unbelievable!! It NEVER ceases to amaze me the length people will go, to pis*-away money instead of using it to help one another.. Anyone else look at the rolling screen at the bottom of the page.. They show places REAL CLOSE to me but put a North or South infront of it.. Theres NO SUCH PLACES!!! Scam??

  4. #4hetkind2016-11-26 05:23

    I think you guys are taking this way too seriously...this is organized by Cards Against Humanity, a table top card game, where the one who makes the sickest jokes wins. Last year they bought out the capacity of the printing plant they sub to and gave the workers a day off by paying for lost production. We actually played it Thanksgiving evening while waiting for dinner to finish cooking accompanied by an excellent bottle of Bullet Rye. Howard

  5. #5DIYDAVE2016-11-26 05:56

    Federal gov't has been doing the same thing for years, more money they get, deeper it goes. at least this is pay as you go...:usa

  6. #6Ronsii2016-11-26 09:43

    ^^ So these guys are sort of competing with the feds for your money... hmmm, I know the govt. does not like competition... wonder how long til they get shut down but seriously, will be interesting to see how deep they get and how much money people will give for nothing more than a hole in the ground.

  7. #7CM19952016-11-26 09:51

    As Hetkind said it's Cards Against Humanity, a very popular card game. It's a very "adult" game with various question cards and various answer cards, played it this week with a large group. If you have a twisted sense of humor and not easily offended it's a lot of fun, however it's not for the faint hearted. The hole is a joke as much as the game is. From the page it's self - That kinda says it all. Who ever is getting paid to dig that hole sure is milking that job.:cool2

  8. #8Buckethead2016-11-26 10:23

    It does seem kind of wasteful. But no one is forced to contribute, and a contractor is getting some business out of it, their operators are staying busy. I wonder if Cards Against Humanity is going to sell the material as fill dirt? That would be brilliant, lol! Get paid to excavate it, and then sell it.

  9. #9Jonas3022016-11-26 10:25

    I don't know thats possibly the stupidest thing I have ever saw

  10. #10Buckethead2016-11-26 10:31

    Last night I was reading some of the comments, that was funny. They were trying to come up with a name for the hoe, "Diggy McDigface" was the most popular one.

  11. #11catwelder2016-11-26 10:58

    id take this job if I was a contractor

  12. #12WyoGuy2016-11-26 11:37

    I was watching this last night for a few minutes. I'm no operator, but it seems like this could be more efficient. If this were a real job, what could they do to be more efficient?

  13. #13digger242j2016-11-26 13:29

    Since the contractor is (presumably) getting paid just for putting the time in, the most efficient use of the equipment is to put as little wear and tear on it, and use as little fuel as possible, while still appearing to be doing something.

  14. #14Ronsii2016-11-26 13:38

    ^^ Exactly I noticed the half buckets getting dug out last night also

  15. #15alskdjfhg2016-11-26 13:47

    While not the stupidest thing the internet has decided to do, its up there. For those that don't know, the Diggy McDigface name is a reference to the RRS Sir David Attenborough. A new polar research vessel, the British government asked the internet what they should name it, popular choice was Boaty McBoatface. Shame I can't get them to crowd fun me the new shop I'm building or a spending spree at Ritchie Bros. Looks to me like they have raised way more money than the day rates of the equipment. Edit: looks like digger242j types faster than I edit.

  16. #16digger242j2016-11-26 13:51

    You know, just thinking about this waay more than it deserves--it says "Seconds per dollar 0.5". That's $2 per second, which works out to $120 per minute, or $7,200 per hour. Seems a little pricey for just those three pieces, doesn't it?

  17. #17Buckethead2016-11-26 14:56

    I think it's probably just to get their name out there. I had never heard of Cards Against Humanity before, but now I know who they are. So it's working.

  18. #18hvy 1ton2016-11-26 15:02

    They are using a scale of some sort. The more money they get the less time the same donation buys. When i posted this last night it was at $5400/hr. If they were using the real cost, these guys would be out there the most of next week. The ex operator was really milking it when i was watching last night and the guy in the ADT must have been getting nervous and/or sleepy because the excavator would honk when he was close to the edge of the stockpile.

  19. #19digger242j2016-11-26 20:00

    Given the disparity between the rate being charged and what must be the actual cost, it would be nice to think that in the end they are going to make some sort of a donation to a worthwhile charity.

  20. #20hvy 1ton2016-11-26 20:35

    Apparently they have done similar things in the past and spent most of it on good works

  21. #21Ronsii2016-11-27 14:57

    Well.... looks like they are done with the hole, or just on break til they get more money

  22. #22movindirt2016-11-27 21:45

    Looks like the total amount raised was around $100k, they dug for 50 hours or so.... $2k a hour for those 3 machines is still a decent amount of money. I don't get why the hoe operator was going so slow, throw a bigger bucket on that 350G and get a big hole dug already, most of that didn't even need a ADT, could have just bailed it form where he was sitting to the pile. I don't see how he was milking it per say, he had a set amount of time to work and no required size.... It's not like he can drag the job length out any? I know I couldn't have just poked along like that lol Here is a news article that somewhat gives the numbers. I got a laugh out of the fact they had to assure everyone that it wouldn't hurt the environment :laugh https://www.cnet.com/news/cards-against-humanity-is-digging-a-hole-to-nowhere/

  23. #23td25c2016-11-27 22:17

    Keep up the good work ! I totally get this ........ Good one " Cards Against Humanity " .

  24. #24lantraxco2016-11-28 00:40

    Video of hoe digging still going... I think they're just getting donations to dig a basement they were contracted to dig anyway, lol.

  25. #25xgiovannix122016-11-28 19:06

    that is an awfull job for a basement

  26. #26lantraxco2016-11-28 19:54

    Manure pit? LOL

  27. #27Ronsii2016-11-28 21:00

    Landfill??? Now that would really rake in the money ;-)