Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

crusher in bits…lots of bits

nicky 68a ยท 2015-11-01 11:29

Not sure what happened,but I seem to be missing my gall stones

Replies35
  1. #1bccat2015-11-01 12:05

    Maybe ww 2 Artillery Shell ? If so must have been a big one to do that much damage to a rock crusher

  2. #2BPMfore2015-11-01 12:57

    What's scrap worth now?

  3. #3lumberjack2015-11-01 13:01

    Hopefully no one was hurt... that's pretty spectacular.

  4. #4Jonas3022015-11-01 14:04

    wow need a story behind that one

  5. #5Oxbow2015-11-01 14:30

    Like Lumberjack, I hope no one was hurt. The hard hat on the tracks doesn't look good.

  6. #6lantraxco2015-11-01 14:31

    Leave it be Nicky, it's Terex you know.... (The movie "Chinatown" reference for those of you scratching your heads) Must have been a bit noisier than usual?

  7. #7grandpa2015-11-01 14:38

    And I thought our glacier till was the toughest rock around.

  8. #8tctractors2015-11-01 15:39

    Wow, that is some damage I see the D/S Flywheel seems to have shot about 40 ft from the swing jaw, I have seen Flywheels set free in the past but this usually results in loads of sparks and racket with things contained within the guarding, for the flywheel to shoot off including the guards, handrail, outer bearing, outer side wall and wear plates also shear off the swing jaw through bolt, that's the critter with the nuts torqued to 7'000 nm, also to tear the side plate off the back beam it has to be a blast off a Shell or something, I see all the chunks on the floor have the yellow marker sticks the Special Branch use, I have never ever seen damage to a crusher like this from running damage, the hydraulic drive motor will stall or belts burn off from top shaft lock up, just as a matter of interest is the engine for sale as I know of a hire firm looking for 1, the bit I find most stunning is the fact that the main chassis is now " Lego" like the rest of the bolt on bits, it has to be an explosive device to do this damage. tctractors

  9. #9joe--h2015-11-01 17:05

    Not to worry, it'll buff out.

  10. #10kshansen2015-11-01 17:12

    Please fill us in on the rest of the story details. I'd like to send these pictures to my former boss but know he will be asking what the **** happened! Anyhow I'm sure TC can have it running in a couple days, but he might be ordering another new Rover when he sends the bill!

  11. #11clintm2015-11-01 17:16

    and the call to the shop goes bring your welder and torch may need a couple of those pieces of ar plate around back in the scrap pile hurry up we got to get it back crushing by morning! oh you might want to grab a couple lites on the way to the the truck

  12. #12lantraxco2015-11-01 17:26

    Been there, done that, have the greasy tee shirt to prove it!

  13. #13joe--h2015-11-01 18:51

    Whatever happened, if there was one ,there might be 2 ? Joe H

  14. #14clintm2015-11-01 19:44

    I'am sure that that one of the mobil crusher whore salesman are beating his door down to rent him another one

  15. #15ol'stonebreaker2015-11-01 21:56

    "Boy, Willie, I don't know if we can patch this one back together!!". Mike

  16. #16simonsrplant2015-11-01 22:43

    Crushing reclaimed material... Enter unexploded ordinance... Maybe? Love to know for sure.

  17. #17tctractors2015-11-02 02:31

    Some years ago I was involved in rebuilding an old Extec Mega Bite crusher that fell off a bench onto the lower floor level sideways, this was a result of tracking over the wire remote control lead and the crusher going a bit Hectic the wrong way, the fall was about 20 ft onto Lime Stone it took longer to mop up the oil mess than it took a small team of us to get the crusher working again, Crushers are tough things with lots of easy swap panels etc, we had a local sheet metal Co build new doors and guards at low cost, the hardest job was repairs to the Exhaust system, so thats a Crusher over a Cliff tale and it was soon back to work, the Terex is Scrap, sadly scrap price is on the bottom now so its a loss all ways. tctractors

  18. #18Queenslander2015-11-02 05:52

    If it was a shell, it may be fortunate that it went off where it did and not when it was dug up by a dozer/exc./loader.

  19. #19DDoug2015-11-02 07:15

    Leetle bits and beeg bits.....bits all over the place...Jeesh.

  20. #20curb guy2015-11-02 11:31

    Whatever happened, it had to be spectacular! what the hell would cause that kind of devistation??

  21. #21Nige2015-11-02 11:42

    As a wild-assed guess - explosive ordnance of some kind ........

  22. #22nicky 68a2015-11-02 13:11

    It's doing the facebook rounds with very few details . I've since read today that it was indeed a shell.As far as I can tell,no casualties. I would not have posted the pic if sombody was hurt badly.Will try and glen more details

  23. #23Nige2015-11-02 13:24

    You'd have thought it would have made the TV news already .....

  24. #24tctractors2015-11-02 13:30

    Nicky, I did strip out a Crusher the other week into a hollow case and had plenty of time to look at the thickness of steel plus the study the weight of the components, so I know it was not a "Spanner in the Works" issue, upto a few years ago it was common to see an operator stood near the swing jaw all day, I now think this has been stopped which might be a good thing in this case. tctractors

  25. #25kshansen2015-11-02 15:38

    Well when I started in the quarry back in 1968 the jaw had a catwalk just a bit above the top of the stationary Jaw. When a stone was reluctant to go through the crusher we used an old tooth off a bucket tied on a rope to work down between reluctant rock and the stationary jaw to encourage it through. Main trick was to not lean over the hand rail too far as sometimes the wedge would come flying out with a bit of speed! Think MSHA might not laugh at that method!

  26. #26RonG2015-11-02 16:41

    I started back in 1963 for Lane Construction at a quarry in Hamden Maine on an Allis Chalmers 60" Hydracone crusher keeping it clear with a long bar taking my licks on my hard hat and listening to those 12" twin pipes exiting above my head right along the catwalk of the big yellow V12 Caterpillar,maybe it was a V16,it had an 4 cylinder inline flat head engine to start it anyway but it was a long time ago.Those were the days.No noise abatement in those days,we started at 5:00am.12 hour days.Ron G

  27. #27oldtanker2015-11-02 17:54

    They find lots of unexploded ordinance all over Europe every year. Anything from artillery shells in a training area that failed to explode to pretty good sized bombs dropped on targets to include England that also failed. It's surprising just how deep both bombs dropped from altitude and artillery shells will bury themselves in the ground. Pretty impressive amount of damage. Rick

  28. #28Nige2015-11-02 18:15

    There was an article on the TV news just the other day of a 500-pound unexploded WWII bomb pulled out of a construction site in London

  29. #29clintm2015-11-02 19:28

    more info please when you find out what happen every body what's to know

  30. #30lantraxco2015-11-02 20:12

    It's impressive that seventy year old ordnance still goes bang. Truly sad when someone's around it when it does.

  31. #31clintm2015-11-02 20:19

    I guess that's one thing that we take for granted over here that we don't have to worry to much about is digging up thing's that go boom

  32. #32d9gdon2015-11-02 21:50

    Watch out for those bids in the impact areas of military installations. You have to have ordnance training at the preconstruction phase. Hard hats aren't very effective either! We've found shells at a WW2 German prison camp while building a heliport.

  33. #33Birken Vogt2015-11-02 23:50

    Does insurance cover the loss or is it considered an act of war or something?

  34. #34tctractors2015-11-03 01:57

    In the photo's parts are marked with yellow flags, if you look into the distance you will see a yellow marker flag some hundreds of feet from the Crusher, about 4 miles from my house is the location for the U.EX.B outfit, that make these Bombs safe, its not the sort of job the regular punter looks for. tctractors

  35. #35gtermini2015-11-03 11:12

    The steel mill here used to get train cars of baled army scrap along with everything else. After about the fifth time having to rebuild the meltshop, they decided to not take that stuff anymore. Greyson