Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cone crusher and line boring.

dabsfabs ยท 2015-10-31 14:39

Been asked about line boring on a cone crusher. Answer is yes I know but what do I line bore on one of these. Top and bottom bearing housing I would guess.

Replies6
  1. #1Old Doug2015-10-31 16:19

    The ones i worked on the cone ran in a brass and the pinion had roller bearings.

  2. #2grandpa2015-10-31 18:03

    Like Old Doug says there is a big bronze bushing in which the mandrel sits. I just can't believe they run it till it hammered the bronze out of it... its like a half inch thick. I guess anything is possible. Many different models use different materials.

  3. #3RayF2015-10-31 20:16

    I've never done one. I've done plenty of line boring on jaw crushers.

  4. #4DDoug2015-10-31 20:30

    It would be nice for some pictures, what do you align from ?

  5. #5Old Doug2015-11-01 10:24

    Around 30 years ago i was working in a shop that rebuilt and sold crushers. A cone was sold and its oil pump had a problem this is the pump that pumps oil to the brass and keeps the mandrel floating in a coat of oil keeping it from touching the brass.The cone was hauled back to the shop for new brass. The closes foundry could not cast a brass that long so they were to cast 2 parts. It would take them 2 days to cast 2 so the boss went after the first one. He pulled up to the shop in his ford escort and opened the passenger front door so i could fork lift it out. I dont know what it weighed. I was the head machinist because i was the only one that could read a mic and i had a 9inch lathe at home. I didnt want this job because of my lack of experince but it was a rush job and the other brass would go to another shop the next day as soon as it was cast to speed things up. It took me a day and a half to do mine on the big lathe we had i was turning as fast as the old lathe would turn and stoped alot to make sure i didnt end up makeing it the wrong size. I finished mine and installed it in the bottom of the bore. I got word that the other one would be finished as so as i got to the other shop. I got there and it was still in the lathe on its last cut. Their lathe could turn almost double what ares would and the machinest had more than 40 years in the trade. I got it back and put in the parting line between the 2 brass was all but inviseable. I was very proud of my work. The boss looked it over and his only remark was that the other shop did their brass 3 hours quicker than i did mine. I learned alot in that shop but the most inportant thing was if you did a good job you was the only one that told you that you did good.

  6. #6kshansen2015-11-01 17:42

    Old Doug, isn't that the way some are? Like the time when I took two genset, one a 3-53 Detroit and the other a small Perkins that another shop said were beyond repair. Problem with both was simply not being stored correctly, water in crankcase and rusted up cylinders. Detroit was an easy in frame job with just replacing cylinder kits and having the head rebuilt. Perkins was a bit more had to strip to bare block and have new sleeves installed then honed to fit new pistons another rebuilt head. Both started an ran like new when I was done. Last I knew the Perkins powered one was sitting out in the middle of the yard at another plant probably be rusted up again in a short time. Hardly heard anything about it from any boss. But they always say they wanted our plant to come up to the "standards" of the plant that took so good care of these engines!