Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CT322 final drive seals

Chewie2105 ยท 2019-02-11 13:05

Hi just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the seals leaking on the final drive on a JD ct322, our unit here is dripping gear oil, and looking on john deeres parts breakdown and manual I can seem to find any info on changing that seal, looks like I would have to go with a complete unit which isn't preferable. just wondering if anyone had done this, almost looks like may be able to pull the final drive off without pulling the motor but cant tell for sure

Replies14
  1. #1Tones2019-02-11 13:48

    I think that you have nothing to lose if you strip it down. Other brands I have seen have a duo-cone seal in there which can be purchased off the shelf. You might should check the bearings as well. if they are worn they could be the cause of the seal failure.

  2. #2BigWrench552019-02-11 14:13

    You can tear down the drive unit yourself and have the seals matched at your local hydraulic shop or seal supply store. Hydraulic drive motors are fairly simple built. The key is to get everything clean,clean, clean before disassembling. Also make your own timing Mark's on the housings to make reassembly easier. If you are only leaking gear oil then you have a failed duo cone seal. You can look for duo cone seals from cat on the internet they have a pdf files of all the specs of your seal and housing. And then it will give you a part number for the size of seal you need. Most service manuals don't give a break down of these components. There should be a tag identifying what you have. More than likely you have a rexroth motor. I hope this will help and good luck to you. No need to buy a 5k part when you need to only spend $50.

  3. #3Chewie21052019-02-11 14:17

    that was the thought but figured worth seeing if anyone had done similar, know JD seems to like to make life difficult

  4. #4Tones2019-02-11 14:45

    Some drive hub's have a tag on the motor which could be manufactured by others. That is a good starting point.

  5. #5heymccall2019-02-11 14:50

    I can't figure which part number in deere is for the duo one seals, but, I did find this... https://www.crcomponents.com/product-p/cr700438.htm

  6. #6mg23612019-02-12 12:16

    Unfortunately Deere does not sell the Duo Cone seals for that (why? I don't know). You will have to source them aftermarket. See leak diagnostic flow chart attached.

  7. #7heymccall2019-02-12 12:18

    The crc link I posted above has them. That explains why they ain't in my deere catalog.

  8. #8Vetech632019-02-12 15:02

    OHHHHH....I know THAT one! Because complete drive motors are a lot more profitable! What did I win?

  9. #9HATCHEQUIP2019-02-12 15:44

    Well it aint a driver motor

  10. #10heymccall2019-02-13 00:01

    Link I put up says that they are Rexroth units.

  11. #11Numbfingers2019-02-13 02:53

    Probably gonna be the same story, but I just replaced a final drive and motor assembly on a CT332. Had a leak so I ordered a seal kit. When the kit showed up I disassembled the final only to find the guts were damaged. No parts available for it other than seals. Had to replace the whole unit.

  12. #12mg23612019-02-13 04:49

    Thanks for the link heymccall. That's good info. I never heard of CR components. Now it is added to my favorites. An "Atta Boy"!

  13. #13Chewie21052019-02-25 14:01

    did you manage toi get the gearbox split, I am having a hell of the time splitting it to get to the duo cone seals, have the 2 lock dowels out but can only get a 1/4" turn either direction before binds up

  14. #14Numbfingers2019-02-25 23:05

    I got it apart but dont remember the details of how.