Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CT322 hydrostatic whine

southernman13 · 2018-06-05 05:26

Purchased one a while back. It had been underwater and wasn’t running. I got it running and it runs good now and all functions work fine I have used it to do some clean up and it performed well. The only issue is it whines when you drive. At lower throttle is way more noticeable like it’s starving for fluid. I’ve changed the filter and can’t see where there’s any type of screen to clean. I thought about changing out the hydraulic fluid. Maybe it doesn’t have the hyguard in it and that’s the issue possibly. Idk. I haven’t done any pressure test. Like I said it rained runs and operates fine. Has plenty power and will pick up a very heavy load. I’ve never had a deere ctl or not operated one so this may be normal but it just doesn’t seem like it to me. Any opinions?

Replies17
  1. #1mikebramel2018-06-05 13:37

    At low engine speed you shouldn't be doing counter rotations or putting the motors under load....

  2. #2southernman132018-06-05 14:02

    Yes this much I do know. Thanks. I was more concerned if there’s an issue with it or if this is pretty much the way they sound/operate. I’ve no idea what type of hydraulic fluid is in it. Was wondering if the hyguard fluid would make a difference. Thanks again

  3. #3bpwelding20052018-06-26 23:30

    I have a CT332 and have always been told by a Deere mechanic that the original 300 series skid steers and CTL’s are designed to use 10w30 in the hydro’s and engine

  4. #4southernman132018-06-27 05:21

    Tenfo. Thanks. I saw another thread on 333 where someone changed to 10W68 said it was like a new machine. Thanks again

  5. #5Numbfingers2018-06-27 05:29

    I rebuilt a drive pump on one last winter due to swash plate bearing failure and don't remember it whining when driving.

  6. #6southernman132018-06-27 11:57

    It sounds just like a zero turn mower if you move it with the engine not reved up. I have a lot of the covers off so it may be noisier due to that. It operates fine and may be normal. Just not like our Asv

  7. #7southernman132018-06-27 12:01

    Thanks for the info as well!

  8. #8mikebramel2018-06-28 00:09

    It is starving for fluid because at low engine speeds the charge pump is putting out a smaller volume and your leakage is high

  9. #9southernman132018-06-28 01:26

    this is what it sounds like I’m wondering though at high rpm should it make that sound at All? Other than the little bit of whine it’s not weak in anyway in its operation. I’m probably just paranoid. Wish I had one to compare it to. Or it had a strainer or clogged filter that I could find.

  10. #10Jmichaelis112018-07-25 10:15

    I own a 2008 CT322 and yeah I would say your fine low rpm they whine like crazy. With the throttle up you can still hear some if you try but its not quiet like some other machines. I'm running deere 15-40 in there everything works great

  11. #11southernman132018-07-25 11:41

    Sounds good thanks

  12. #12southernman132018-08-09 06:45

    Still working even though it’s whinjn about it. Another issue but not a real issue is the drive sticks don’t center exactly. When you start it and there not centered it wants to drive and can be a pain trying to center them so it will sit still. I can deal with it but not sure if there’s an easy fix. I have replaced the valve centering springs and it didn’t make a difference. This again may be normal for this machine. Idk

  13. #13Numbfingers2018-08-09 10:26

    That's not normal and can be adjusted. The pump I did was a 332 but may be similar. You block up the skid steer and tweak the adjusting screw or screws until the track movement stops if memory serves me right. Can't recall the details of the screw adjustment.

  14. #14Numbfingers2018-08-09 10:30

    I remember now, kinda. You have to hook up some gauges to the pump and watch pressures and also while monitoring track movement. You can download the manual for that machine relatively cheap probably at tradebit.com or at John Deere tech pubs for a little more.

  15. #15southernman132018-08-09 19:18

    Tenfo. I do have some manuals someone sent me. I’ll check to see if they referenced anything on that. Thanks

  16. #16Jmichaelis112018-09-20 10:39

    Did you get the centering issues resolved?

  17. #17southernman132018-09-20 10:49

    No sir. I haven’t fooled with it since I installed the new springs. That did nothing. I may have said that already. It’s in Tn and I haven’t been back up there to look at it. Cooler weather looks to be ahead so next time I’m there I’ll likely look at it. Thanks