Hey guys, still on the hunt for a skid steer. I found this John Deere CT332 and the guy says he'll take $17k. It has higher ours, but just wondering if given the price it's a good deal? Thanks in advance for all of your help! This forum has been such a blessing in helping me not get taken! 2005 open station 2 speed hand controls quick coupler, beater but works good 5297 hours. I’ve had it 1.5 years. New tandem pumps and drive motors. It’s got a small hydraulic leak. Oring on a fitting.
Two mechanics at our local Bobcat dealership, once told me this. Any used skid steer/CTL with over 3000 hours, is a money pit, stay away. I have always followed that advice, as they should know what they are talking about.
Pretty accurate by my experience. Simon C
If you’re going to buy high hours, John Deere would be a brand I would avoid. They sure like to make money on their parts (as do all manufacturers-business I get it). John Deere just seems to be the most costly, especially when you get into that undercarriage.
The new pumps and drives scare me a little, especially if not knowing the extent of the damage or reason but I can guess why. Any machine that has detonated and not rebuilt by me or someone I really know, would be suspect. Did they flush EVERYTHING completely? Awful lot of money for a beater!
Thanks guys for your help! I really appreciate it! Sounds like a good machine to pass on. What makes the difference between say an old case 95xt that seems like most last at least 8k hours, and a slightly newer machine like this? Is it that the wheeled machines just last longer with fewer repairs? I didn't realize that about Deeres parts costing more either. I have some other Deere equipment, and have been very pleased with it, but maybe I'd be better served by a different brand.
Wheeled machines certainly are less maintence. Track loaders are like tanks, lots of vibrations and rough riding on uneven ground. The undercarriages are where they get costly. Grinding up dirt and rocks all day. Rollers usually $300+ a piece, machines usually have 8. Sprockets, idlers etc etc. 5k hours on a track machine is a much harder life than a rubber tired wheeled machine. At least with 4 air tires you get some sort of suspension and smoothness. personal opinion on JD parts, but wouldn’t be surprised if others agree. Needed a fan clutch one time. $1500. That’s a lot. jD also has some high proprietary designs that require JD specific tools, I.E they’re 4024 engine fuel system, timing etc. Dealer once told me the tool I needed was on back order with no estimated arrival. Asked them to rent theirs and they weren’t in the business of doing so. That made my cranky, probably part of the chip on my shoulder I have for JD at times. They are built heavy though. The XT series Case has a good reputation paired with the Cummins. Totally different animal. 8k hours still alot, but they are known to clear that with ease. Goes back to comparing Track vs wheeled tho