Hi all. I have searched this forum extensively and found a lot of valuable information. I was hoping to get some more advice based on my specific situation. I own a 500+ acre property and am looking to improve some of its parts. Specifically, I would like to mainly level and grade some areas (including where gravel was harvested years ago and medium hills were left behind), clear brush (leaving nice trees behind), create flat pads for fences and buildings, maintain brush free treed areas, put in fences, plant trees, etc. I have a 40+ hp tractor already which is used mainly for mowing of large flat areas. I am strongly considering the purchase of a compact track loader. Specifically I am considering to purchase the JD 333d ctl. Do you think this is the correct machine for the tasks mentioned? I have also read many positive reviews of the takeuchi machines. I previously thought about purchasing a used small dozer (jd450) but I think its versatility is limited and I think I can probably level/grade equally well with the large ctl, although at a slower pace. Can you please chime in on whether you think the ctl is the right type of machine and if yes, which specific brand/model would you recommend? All of your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. M
If you will need to dig in any material that isn't already loose, I would recommend a regular track loader like a JD 450 size machine or a little bigger. If the brush is light then a CTL will probably clear it faster especially if it has a grapple bucket. If the brush is heavy & thick then a regular track loader will be a much better choice. Personally I would try to find a regular track loader with a 4/1 bucket and rippers. If you don't already have one, get an auger attachment for your 40 hp tractor for fence post holes and tree holes.
If you have a FEL on that tractor consider a hydraulic post hole digger. I never use the 3pt. anymore.