I am still searching for a good brush cutter at a good price - the direct drive are just more expensive and can't bite the bullet. Anyone able to tell me the different between direct drive and piston driven? looks like the piston ones need a case drain (which I have) but I don't know how it affects anything. I also want a string trimmer for my CTL - the only two I found that seemed good appear to no longer be made.. http://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=14734 http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...658&thid=JN.pzGrM+ZoCxOnMl6J0seAcQ&ajaxhist=0 the one I found only does right in front which doesn't help with my fence line.... here's what I found that's available... http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/s...eterra-boom-mounted-hydraulic-string-trimmer/ I also really think this would be useful.... http://wn.com/skid_steer_tree_trimmer_and_wood_splitter
The thing I built (posted a pix in the attachment area), I had wanted to find a good used 4' bruch hog in which to add a hyd motor and adapt to my little skid loader (bobcat 642 9.5 gpm). Having looked for over a year and finding only beat up junk at $500, I found the agri-supply.com website and ordered a gearbox and stump jumper. I didn't need a gearbox, but to make a spindle, bearing mounts, and a blade holder (which I own my shop to do that in) I got it all with the gearbox. Ffor $180 I got the 75 hp gearbox with a 2" dia. splined tapered shaft with locknut. For $100 I got the stumpjumper/blade holder with the mating tapered spline 2" shaft. The price increase over a standard 40 h.p. unit was negligable, so I went for the stronger unit. I used a simple gear motor from surplus center, the piston types (bent axis et all) are very expensive, and while they may be more efficient, I was gambling this thing would work at all with my low (very) flow. If you purchase a unit with custom made shaft/blade holder/etc. And need parts, your at the mercy of the OEM.