I have a chance to buy an International tandem dump from a family friend. I have not been able to look at the truck yet but trying to do some research before I do. From memory, the truck looks like a S2500 model. Looking at pictures online, that grille looks most familiar. The seller states it has a Cummins "350" with an Allison Roadmaster transmission. Does that mean it is an automatic? Anyways, about the engine. Would a "350" mean an 855 with 350 HP? This truck would most likely be from around the mid 1980's? If it is indeed an Automatic, would that be a bad choice for an off road only truck? I have a 1972 Ford L8000 with a CAT 3208 as my yard truck right now, and it's very tired. I don't know the trans but it's a manual box. I know the kind of strain I have put on that trans and am wondering if an Allison would be a bad choice for low speed heavy work in soft sandy loam soil.
Normally an Allison is a great choice for off road so long as it's in good condition. But it sounds like the seller is not really sure what they have. Better go look at it, test it out, take pictures of the engine and transmission tags, and post it back here and people will decipher what is really there. If the tags match the hardware and has not been meddled with all these years.
Drove my first automatic this past week. Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember in the older allison transmissions ,and probably the same for the newer ones, that heat is a killer, and a working temp gauge is a must. On that assumption, I would check the fluid and make sure it's not burnt.
I'm looking at the truck now. It's a 1984 IH S2600. It's not an automatic. Keeps telling me it's a roadmaster trans. I can't see any ID on it, would need to be powerwashed. Odometer reads 78k miles, he says salvage yard is going to give him $4300 for it so that's what he wants...
It doesn't look like an automatic. I can see the grease line for the throwout bearing , and I can see the clutch pedal in the picture with the open door
I've seen plenty of "roadranger" transmissions, but never a "roadmaster". $4,300 if it runs and drives and has decent rubber isn't a bad price at all, if you have a use for it. And aren't planning on trying to make a living with it every day. Get a picture of the shifter in the cab and that will give a hint to what transmission it is. The cummins 350 would be a real step up from your 3208. A picture or two of the engine will tell whether its high flow or low flow cooling. 1984 I think could be either. Is it a spring over walking beam rear suspension?
I've decided to pass on it. It has a lot if rot on the frame rails, the cab is quite rotted and it looks like the engine had a head gasket leak. The dump box had a lot of rot as well, and no rubber left at all. If I could have got it for $3000 I would have gone for it. And yes, maybe he said roadranger trans. He never told me it was an automatic I assumed it was when he told me it was an Allison. What I really would like to find someday is an OshKosh 6x6.