I have a Ford A64 loader I want to repower with a Cummins 6bt. Tranny as stated is Allison tt2221-1. I've seen a very short video online of this exact swap, running, but have been unable to find any info on it. Previous engine was Ford 401. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.
Think I got it figured out. After a little education, it seems much more do-able. Any info out there on the flex disc coupling bolted to the Allison tt2221-1? Can't seem to find much. Wonder if they are still availabe or there may be a better way now? Thanks.
I was under the impression the supply of Allison transmission parts was still satisfactory, but I've yet to test the parts availability for the TT2221-1. I have one in a loader that needs to come out for repair, but it's not a priority project. According to the manual, there is the choice of the flex plate or a splined converter drive. I see no reason why the flex plate arrangement wouldn't provide satisfactory service. See page 1-3 in the manual link below. New, Used and Remanufactured Allison Transmission Parts, Allison Shifters ATS Transmission has a full line of Allison transmission parts for our customers that want to tackle the job for themselves. We have a large inventory in order to meet our customers timely demands. www.atstransmission.com https://www.numeralkod.com/cross/archivemanuals/allison/Series%20TT%20TTB%20TRT%202001%20Service%20Manual%20SA%202003.pdf
Hey thanks much for the manual link, it will be a big help. I've disassembled my flex disk, cleaned up & painted all pieces. A few small pin holes from rust appeared where all disk parts are bolted together. It still seems serviceable, though. Tossing around the idea of buying a new one since I'm already in there. General searching has brought up no part #s or any info. I'll probably have to contact an Allison dealer.
Here are the Allison 2000 series parts books, there are 4 files in total ... http://www.numeralkod.com/cross/archivemanuals/allison/1200-14010-2000%20series%20parts%20catalog%20sa%201248h/part%201.pdf http://www.numeralkod.com/cross/archivemanuals/allison/1200-14010-2000%20series%20parts%20catalog%20sa%201248h/part%202.pdf http://www.numeralkod.com/cross/archivemanuals/allison/1200-14010-2000%20series%20parts%20catalog%20sa%201248h/part%203.pdf http://www.numeralkod.com/cross/archivemanuals/allison/1200-14010-2000%20series%20parts%20catalog%20sa%201248h/part%204.pdf
Thanks OzDozer, appreciate the manuals. Found the part #s needed & see there are several options other than through Allison.
Hi tad. I’m getting started doing the exact same thing you are but on a 3850 ih loader. I’ll be putting in a 6bt to the same Allison tranny. Any help on the flywheel housing , flywheel and coupling g the two together would sure be appreciated. Thank you. Jeff.
Hey Jeff. The 3850 is a nice compact loader. That 6bt will certainly liven it up! No problem on the info. I'm getting a slow start to it though. Mine is a flex disc coupler, assuming yours is also, maybe not. I do know for certain the Allison tt2221-1 has an SAE #3 bolt pattern. Tad.
Thanks tad. Knowing it’s a sae#3 flywheel housing will definitely help. Yes mine will be a flex coupling. It looks like a stack of really thin plates sandwiched together if I remember right. I’m sure I’ll have to take a 5.9 flywheel and do the machine work off of it necessary to make it bolt up. But I’ll start off by looking for the #3 housing. I’ve seen a few. Jeff.
Hi to all Just joined this forum today ! I have a 82 ford A 66 wheel Loader with the allison TT2421-1 . The motor got water in the oil because of electrolosys .i am concerned all rebuilds will have same problem, want to switch to something different. I have an allis 3500 series 426 ? 3208 cat and ford 7.6 liter, I am thinking allis loaders might have Allison tranmissions ? I want to know about SAE housings ? TIA any Help appreciate !
morning. So I learned a lot on this subject on our swap. But basically for whatever engine you chose to go with you’ll need a sae 3 flywheel housing. And then that tranny will need a sae 7 1/2 flywheel. Worldwide power products website has a nice chart and measurements to figure out flywheel housings and flywheels. But those are the two things you’ll need. Then the flywheel might need to be machined to get your flywheel to flywheel housing depth correct Flywheel might have threaded holes that need to be drilled out as well to get mated to the Allison. Hope this helps ya.
Thank you very much for reply, I will check out Worldwide power, Can I ask what you swapped? Thanks John
We’re putting a 5.9 Cummins in a 3850 international payloader. Which has an Allison tt2221-1
Your tranny is direct mounted to engine correct ?
yes, I have a ford 401 mounted to a TT 2421-1 transmission. Would like to use something different. SAE #3 Housings available on E Bay If My ford 7.6 liter offf a combine would bolt up to that I would be golden! But I dont Know what motors bolt to that housing? Thanks for your help !
Do you mean 6.6 ford. Or 7.8 ? I’ve not heard or a 7.6 I think the 6.6 and 7.8 are both inline 6. Jeff.
Also I forgot to mention earlier you’ll need the starter location on your housing in the upper 11 o’clock position.
I have a 7.8 liter ford in NH comine I can take off, starter is in 11 o'clock, just top 2 bolts don't line up
701-391-4767. If you wanna call me somtime I’ll sure go over with ya any info we came up with.