Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cummins 8.3 to M11

72hayes ยท 2018-10-30 23:51

I have a T300 Kenworth with a 8.3 Cummins and was wondering about repowering with a M11. It has an Allison trany. Has anyone done this?

Replies3
  1. #1DMiller2018-11-02 17:30

    Talking two completely Different engine breeds, different design criteria and different dimensions. The 8.3 is around 1700 lbs. the M11 near to a full ton, physically the M11 is longer wider and taller. Then there is the base difference, you will not achieve the vehicle speed from the 8.3 at 2500rpm going to a M11 at 1800-2000. One is a heavy ton truck typical where the other is used from 2 1/2 to 5 ton trucks and light day cab tractor trailer machines. The Allison may not be compatible with the M11 for shift points and mounting. Will also be cooling system requirements changes.

  2. #2Wes J2018-11-02 20:08

    I would think the best place to start would be determining if the M11 was ever offered in a T300. If it was, it can physically be done. Surely money ahead to just buy one ready to go. I've driven several tandem dumps with the 8.3. It's a zippy engine when empty. Not enough torque to run loaded on any kind of grade. I once stalled one on a steep hill totally empty. Couldn't down shift fast enough...

  3. #3petepilot2018-11-02 23:38

    do not think m-11 was available in a t-300