Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cummins B3.3 Engine, Any Good?

Birken Vogt ยท 2016-09-01 00:35

Does anyone here have experience with the Cummins B3.3 turbo engine good or bad? My understanding is that it is a joint venture with Komatsu. It looks very much like some Yanmar and Isuzu and other Japanese engines I am familiar with, but with a different flavor.

Replies8
  1. #1Jim D2016-09-03 02:36

    My memory may be bad, but I thought the 3.3 came to Cummins when they bought Onan. (Onan sourced the 95 from Komatsu?) The engine had a bad reputation for automotive swaps, but that stands to reason; it's a 85hp stationary motor.

  2. #2Birken Vogt2016-09-03 11:25

    I think you may be confusing it with the 3.4L 6 cylinder A series Onan/Cummins engine also known as the L634. Circa 1985 or 1990. This one is much newer and took over where the 3.9L B series left off about 2005. The 3.3 B series I have seen are always turbocharged where the 3.9 B series and 3.4 A series are or are not depending on HP level. The 3.3 is also a 4 cylinder.

  3. #3Jim D2016-09-04 02:38

    Right you are!

  4. #4Brodiesel2016-09-04 18:53

    I think the 3.9 B series became the 4.5 ISB, Like the 5.9 became the 6.7 ISB. Right?

  5. #5Jim D2016-09-05 00:32

    Yes. There is a bigger difference between the 3.9 and 4.5 engines than the 5.9 and 6.7; the 4.5 ISB and QSB cam drive is at the rear of the engines.

  6. #6Birken Vogt2016-09-05 11:25

    The B3.3 I am asking about is a very Japanese looking engine, bears no resemblance to the B3.9 and I have never seen a B4.5.

  7. #7Jim D2016-09-10 23:30

    Birken, I know nothing about the 3.3, except that you said "The B3.3 I am asking about is a very Japanese looking engine": Japanese is good, better than Chinese... ;^)

  8. #8kshansen2016-09-11 11:33

    Only had dealings with one B3.3 in a Rosco Sweeper used in the quarry. We got ours new in 2002 and when I retired in 2015 it was still running just fine. But that is a machine that in that period of time only had around 1,000 hours on it! Other than changing oil and filters a few times the only other things I recall was a failed alternator and an oil pressure sender. But then at 1,000 hours it was just getting broke in! I do have a PDF copy of the operation an maintenance manual if needed! Dated 3/99