A friend of mine asked if I was going to be putting polished wheels on the front of my dump truck and leave painted on the rear. He said that is the way trucks used to be. My question, aside from expense, is why wouldn't they have put polished all the way around or why wouldn't they have just left them all painted? Was it because the rear wheels would be backing into all kinds of debris?
Here in the land of log and farm trucks, that's the way they usually are. Good virgin steers on alcoas and beater caps on steelies in the back. No since in trying to keep the drivers all pretty when they just eat rocks and dust. Greyson
Makes sense, just was just new to me... like all of this.
Where I am,majority of trucks run shiny all summer. Put steel white,some black,on rear for winter
I'm guessing a bit here but if you were to put super singles on the front of a truck they would be aluminum as the only practical option. Alcoa super single wheels are actually less expensive than steel super single wheels. just a theory........TIO
Another theory could be too that more often then not the front's were Budd rims and the backs were Clamp style rims... I don't think anyone even makes a aluminum clamp rim?
I've run steel and aluminums both. I like the durability of the steel wheels, and I'm not too worried about weight. That and I don't like polishing rims. I've driven with whatever has come with the truck- I'm too tight to spend money on looks... But, I've been truck shopping lately, and don't understand what the deal is with black painted rims. I've always run white, and can't see the black paint helping with tire heat. To me it looks wrong. This poor old kenworth is so ugly only a mother could love it (that and its a 8v92) This freightliner used to look like this: New owner, new look. While I could see painting the rims, why not keep them white :beatsme
Well customization is an expression of a persons personality through there vehicle. The black is the "nascar" look. I'm not into nascar but I do like the look over stock. There is also practicality. I have Alcoas on my current service truck and am pretty sure I'm going get them powder coated black. It's soon time for new tires and while they are dismounted something should be done with the wheels they have had a few years of road salts and rock chips. I am not a polisher either and since it's only $60/each to have them powder coated why not? They will clean much easier in the future and I won't look like ever other truck on the road. I only have one truck not a fleet so it's it's a simple decision to do them or not to. I would like to put 4 of these on my truck but at almost $400 each I will hold off for now....TIO
On this coast there are a great number of shiny wheels. Company trucks where I work,part time now,have shiny steers and white rears. However the rears turn yellow from driving onto hog piles in pulp mills. Also some of the white wheels hold up well but after rain or washing the water pools and leaves stains which need to be wiped up right away. I am not a fan of black wheels