I have a Air Max l9000 with a Cummins engine on putting on a Cummins fuel injector pump does it have to be timed with the motor or just put it on
Depends on which model engine it is......
IF its actually a Cummins PT fuel pump.. w/ 3 tangs on the drive and a spider gear.. it just goes on.. no timing involved. IF its a Bosch inline pump.. with a key or gear drive.. it has to be timed to the engine.
thanks pumpguy Yeah it's a Cummins and it has a spider gear so I just put it on thank you very much for your help
On the fuel injection pump Cummins PT I took the 9/16 bolt out of the top, filled it with fuel took almost a quart ,now I crank it over will not start hit it with either it starts and runs with either only
Do you have power to the shut down solenoid while cranking?
What is the shutdown solenoid I know there is one wire hook to the injector pump and yes it is hot
Truck is now running can someone please send me a picture of the throttle linkage hook up to the fuel injector pump the whole view of the side
SERIOUSLY?? Its a splined shaft w/ a splined lever.. Stick it on and have someone mash the pedal to the floor.. When its on correctly, the lever will hit the internal stop.. No 2 are the same.. the lever might turn up or it might turn down or it might go on sideways..
The shut down solenoid is what that wire is connected to on the top side of the pump. If there was no power to it engine would not run. Well not 100% accurate, as there is a manual over-ride screw on the "front" side of that shut down housing. If that screw is turned in on a basic non-electronic PT pump engine will not stop unless it runs out of fuel or somebody stalls it! There were some engines that had manual shut down valves, no solenoids, not real common but I know there was a valve for one sitting on the shelf at work when I retired. It had an arm for a cable to hook to it.
So are you going to let us in on the solution? It's not good form to ask for help and then once the solution is found to not let people know what fixed it. Might be someone else with the same problem tomorrow or a year from now doing a search here and they would be helped greatly knowing what fixed your problem.
Some of them you could just pull the compression release, lol.
My fuel filter was not completely full I took it off filled it up it was fine started running
True! Those were also helpful to let you crank an engine over nice and fast to prime fuel and oil systems.
Easy on starters too, and prelubed everything before you put compression on the bearings. Why did we stop building engines with compression release?
Failure point comes to mind. Gear reduction starters are better than those big ole direct drives. I don't worry about prelube, engine has plenty of oil even after sitting. Oil pressure usually up within half a rev also. And with modern injection the engine usually starts right away anyway. Those are the reasons I would say.