Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cummins ISB out of frame start.

BHunting · 2022-05-07 23:30

Hello, I just recently rebuilt a Cummins 6.7L isb (EPA 10) engine out of frame. I want to start it on the ground before installing it into frame. I know I will need batteries, fuel, coolant set up etc… Where I have trouble is the wiring. What wiring do I need to have installed/rigged up to run the engine. Also, I would like to hook up Cummins insite to monitor the oil pressure etc when it runs - any insite is helpful. Thanks!

Replies6
  1. #1Old Doug2022-05-08 10:50

    I have started alot of engines on the ground but they didnt need any electronic stuff . Why do you want to do this anyway? The reason we did it because we didnt know any thing about the engine.

  2. #2BHunting2022-05-08 10:53

    Testing purposes. I know I will need to wire power, ground, ignition etc into the chassis connector on the ecm. As well as a remote start button hooked up. I’m just not sure what else is required. Do I need throttle etc? What wires were required for you to hook up a laptop to monitor? Thanks.

  3. #3funwithfuel2022-05-08 12:51

    Personally, i don't like running engines unloaded, especially after an overhaul. I like to fire and run up to oil pressure then as much load as i can muster. Load 10 seconds and cool 15. On n off. You will need ignition feed, throttle position and idle validation. You should be able to backbone into the harness at the ECU connector. There should be a 3 wire connector with 2 wires going in . That's the plug for the terminating resistor. You should be good there if it doesn't have an ALDL or datalink plug.

  4. #4BHunting2022-05-09 00:51

    Okay thanks!

  5. #5Shimmy12024-09-22 10:02

    Ok, bot.

  6. #692U 34062024-09-22 11:43

    Pretty obvious too isn't it?