I was hoping to hear from someone if they have ever heard of this happening. I live in NH. 15 years ago I got a OUI in MA. I got my class A 10 months ago. I tested and recived my class A from NH. I just got a notice from the NH DMV that my privileges to drive class A would be suspended in 30 days due to MA suspending my right to hold and drive with class A. I'm freaking out because I have put so much effort into my company for 2 years now and can not survive without my class A. I have a hearing date the 16th of this month in with MA RMV. has anyone ever heard of this crap?
Would contact the License Department office nearest you and see what they say. Each state's rules on License Revocation for OUI/DUI are different than another's.
What sort of reciprocity does NH and MA have on CDL's? I can't fathom a state you do not live in can dictate whether you get a CDL in your home state. Were you driving a commercial vehicle in MA when you got the DUI?
https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-...ubchapter-B/part-383/subpart-D/section-383.51 According to the federal rules, two instances of refusing a test or convictions of under the influence- results in a lifetime restriction. After 10 years you may be reinstated after completing rehabilitation. So without knowing your entire driving history, none of us here can tell you what your legal standing is. I am going to guess that there may be fine print in the CDL application that says something to the effect of do not sign- "if you know of any reason you may be disqualified from holding a CDL" etc. and you signed without considering the 15 year old conviction.
This is why I don't drink not worth the risk of these problems
I've warned all my guys, after we had one get a pretty excessive speeding ticket in a personal vehicle. I got a letter from my insurance company that they would let this one go, but if he has another ticket they won't cover him. He's a great guy, but if I can't insure him, he can't work.
Not a unique situation. I personally believe insurance companies control who drives rather than any governmental agency. We just never hear about the insurance companies and their restrictions.
I called the NH DMV... they said I need to clear it up in mass because NH is a reciprocal state meaning is mass pulls my class a then NH pulls it too.
I just dont get how I got the OUI 15 years ago and held my class A for 10 months and now they pull it. I have zero infractions on my class A. never got any form of violations in a CMV.
Agreed!!!!! I wasnt even 21 yet when I got it. this OUI happened 15 years ago.
NH is a reciprocal state. I got this OUI 15 years ago and only got my class A 10 months ago
Wow. What are the MA rules on DUI's and CDL licenses? Under the Federal rules you are eligible unfortunately state rules can be different.
I got another ASL for refusing to blow when I was 17 so in 2004 or 2005. So by fed regs it would be life time but that can be lifted 10 years after offenses. I had a rough upbringing. took a long time for me to turn it around but I have been clean and sober for 7 years now. I have a hearing on the 16th with mass so I'm hoping they will reinstate me. It would break my heart if they dont. I cant blame anyone but me in the end though. I always tell my daughter some mistakes the damage can not be repaired.
Its a deal but i can see them finding out in 10 months or 10 years later thats how they work.
Well that's an important piece of the puzzle here.
after looking at that link I have concluded i would be a life time suspension but eligible for the 10 year reinstatement..... so I hope thats what its about that I just have to prove I have been sober and completed treatment and the will give it back.
sorry i agree I should have said that to begin with
I figured there was something else in your history. You're probably not just in trouble from your back legal issues, but they can probably go after you, for applying for and getting a cdl without being eligible for one. "after 10 years, if that person has voluntarily entered and successfully completed an appropriate rehabilitation program approved by the State." You need a lawyer. One who knows what he's doing in this area if you want your CDL. You can't just show up and say "I've been sober a while". I'm sure there's a list of state approved rehabilitation programs and none of them are cheap or finished in a afternoon. I seriously doubt you are going to get your cdl back at your hearing.
For the fact I know these CDL laws better than anyone on here, I will keep my advise because what I do for a living is total/utter nonsense.
I've protected my CDL for years, good to know that a refusal to test is extremely bad berries.
yah I figured i wouldnt get it back at the hearing... I'm just hoping they give me a path to get it back.... I have been to many rehabs and most were state approved in mass. I also have been under the care of a LADC for 6 years now. so I know that I have all that info. Before I even applied for my CDL I went to the NH DMV and had them review my driving record to see if I was eligible to get a CDL. They told me I was all set..... I figured before I spent 6k on the class I should check with them. NH dosnt seem to be the ones with a problem just MA.
I will have a drink, ON Occasion, but generally as a Rule NOT during the week when I may need to drive to town or be in a truck in short time frame. Had two whole Stag Beers yesterday and easing back a J&C right now but stop at One. Tomorrow starts at six on the clock. Mainly rinsing back the dust from some base sanding and resin/cloth hole covering on the truck, Body Shop **** has begun. Road rash on Front Fender Corners, some dimples from Inside the hood to out(Just applied resin to seal), and where that antenna mount came off, holes plugged then more resin over cover pieces. Get holes sealed up and cracked glass solid again, Sand, then spot filler to bring some semblance of Smooth back and prime to seal. Then entire Machine gets DA and hand sand narrow slots., Full Wash down and look it over, spot repairs and then finish wash, clean up shop bay as it dries, get it inside and masked. Main Cab/Sleeper to be KW Dark Blue Metallic once the Blue is on and complete, allow to set a week, mask off Front Fenders to Fender Lines on Hood, they will get Phantom Gray Metallic as will the Rear Fenders once the body work and mounts fitment on them is done.
Delered
The sooner you realize government laws make absolutely no sense the easier it will be, but also 99.99% of the time there is a workaround that is totally legal. Even assuming you were banned from holding a CDL in the states, you could get a license in Canada and use it there. Could be annoying for sure but could be done. Heck if it wasn't yet suspended you might be able to transfer it now without any test at all. I had an absolute nightmare getting mine as I was right at the line of where mandatory schooling came in, totally different scenario but I found if you are on them enough they back down. Technically I should have had to do the 100+ hours schooling but I got them to let it slide for me. If you can prove you followed all regulations for getting the CDL in the state you are currently in and get a lawyer at the hearing just in case, I can't see where they wouldn't let you keep it, or keep it pending The irony is Canada is worse on DUI's then the US, but there is no such law here. There is plenty of guys with tons of DUI's driving, as long as it's a big company they can hide them in with the good drivers and get away with insurance. Also as far as tickets, they just want the money. You can plead them down and likely end up only paying money no hits to license. I had one minor ticket and it cost me an extra $300/year for 5 years on my insurance just for making a left turn between hours of 7-9 when it wasn't allowed, now I fight any ticket I don't care about the money but I don't want anything on my license. They use to give you a 1 ticket freebie if it was minor, not anymore.
Hopefully you can get it back. I had to run my business for 2 years without a CDL because I was too young. Might have to get smaller trailer and pickup truck or a ramp truck to get around the regs. If the equipment is too large for that may have to hire hauls on busy days and just do Sunday night trucking... If there isn't enough money in the job to pay for a transport, it wasn't there in the beginning in my opinion. Sorry to hear it. I really do know how it is arguing with those losers.
My story is a little different, and doesn't involve a cdl. I wax pulled over for speeding one night and got a ticket. I hired a traffic ticket attorney to take care of it. I went to court one time and was rescheduled. While waiting from the attorney to find out the next hearing. I moved and changed phones. 10 years go by and that ticket completely slipped my mind. After 10 years go by I get stopped again for speeding and that old ticket comes up and I had a warrant for my arrest. My driver's license had been blocked from renewal and it was expired that night. The policeman didn't give me a ticket for speeding but instead. He gave me a ticket for driving with a invalid license. I paid the ticket and took care of the warrant. I then got my driver's license renewed in the same week this happened. Two years goes by and I am getting a notice from the dps that my license will be suspended for driving with a invalid license ticket. I requested a hearing and went. I didn't have any representation, but only a story. The judge actually listened to my crazy story and told me that if I didn't get another ticket for 30 days. Then I could keep my license. I didn't get another ticket and I kept my license. You may never know. They could be sympathetic and hear your case give you your license. This is just another bump in the road of life. And in my 42 years on this earth I learned one. The only certainty in life is that life will be hard at times. It's not how you fail. It's how well you overcome failure.
Yes and no. There is plenty of jobs where I move my 210 in and out same day, someone who has to pay to move it both ways can't compete because it would cost like $800 each way, whereas for me I don't need to charge anywhere close to that for mobilization.
yah Honestly it would kill me because Lots of days I haul for other people because I just have not enough worked drummed up yet. This is my first full season. I have been trying to get my company off the ground for over 2 years but it took a while to apply for CDL school, take the course, get the class a at the DMV and square away my pete 330 to be ready to go.
This is my BABY. 133k miles on frame brand new reman C8.3 300HP 8LL with dual locking diffs.
https://cdllife.com/2019/troopers-catch-outlaw-trucker-whose-cdl-expired-24-years-ago/ Sounds like a tough situation. Trust me I know what its like to have the whole CDL barrier, but I did it for 2 years. It caught up with me in the end, looking over your shoulder all the time is no fun. But seriously, this is one of those times where it would be worth paying for real legal advice. HEF is not that...
Very true. You live in America where money can buy you anything. The license issue can be sorted out no matter what it just depends how much $$ it will cost.
I called an attorney yesterday..... they said mass got in hot water due to not suspending people and as of the last 6 months they have been "over correcting" an it sounds like i got caught in that web. they said they did not want to take my money as it sounds like somthing that will get cleared up on the 16th. If it is not a a simple thing i will find out on the 16th in which point the lawyer will handle the appeal for flat fee of $3,500. the lawyer I called only handles mass OUI issues and defense. Thank you all for you encouragement!!! I wouldnt have otherwise called an attorney
That's great news it's much better than sitting in the dark and wondering what to do next.
In NY refusing a field test results in arrest and automatic 6 month suspension of your license, CDL or not. Then they will get a warrant to force a test before releasing you. Maximum BAC with a CDL is .04, regular license is .08. I was on our Rescue Squad here in the late 70s and saw first hand the results of drunk driver crashes, we would average 2 or 3 a night on Friday's and Saturdays. This was in a town with a population of about 4000. I think in the late 80s they tightened up the law and we saw the accident rate drop almost instantly. The penalties are no joke, you can ruin your life with a couple extra drinks. It was needed though, I saw dozens of innocent lives either ended or severely altered as a result of a crash with a drunk driver.
I quit drinking 32 years ago, thankfully before having any troubles like that. When I said I protected it, that was about speeding tickets too.
I do NOT drink and drive, lost a boy to a Drunk Driver long ago so will not do that. Will go out for dinner and have a glass of wine or a beer, then wife and I walk the single drink off for a hour or better before going back to the car. Have not broken that base context for close to thirty five years. Been to KY for Bourbon Festival, I become the Sober Chauffeur for our little group events even as I do enjoy a good bourbon.
Once you have a CDL-if a person takes it seriously and wants to keep it {your done drinking}. If your in a pee pool don't be surprised that come Monday morning you have to test. That has become a common thing. We've lost two drivers that way. You can get it back but you will be out for at least a year, go through a dry out clinic, once license is reissued you will be tested at the drop of a hat anytime for quite awhile. So think about it. The amount of money it will cost-it's damn expensive. Once it's on your record with a CDL it won't leave.
I'm in a legal marijuana state and peeps just don't understand. I am in a pool of 1 LOL! Random my arse, I get tested all the time. Don't even smoke that stuff near me thank you.
Older Brothers Second Wife(NOT MY Sis In Law, BY Choice) is a MJ Smoker, states makes her COPD Better, yeah right. She and he moved to CO from CA as could no longer afford CA, and her daughter moved to Denver area to become a teacher. Well that star spangled happy hour snort cost her driver's license for a period of time, was stopped by a patrolman for speeding no less, when opened window to hand license and insurance patrolman noted the aroma emanating asked her if she had recently been doing a doobie she righteously told him she did NOT smoke it while driving she had enjoyed her med MJ at her last stop. DUI came forth. Idiot went to attorneys to fight it, NO WAY Jose(Jeanne)!!!, so she went to court to note is a Legal For Consumption Script for her, Judge stated she can use at home but under CO Restrictions MOST NOT DRIVE for 12-24 hours after. She had to do Rehab and be tested WEEKLY, Failed for FIVE Weeks(Thought could sneak a joint on occasion) so finally managed three straight tests Clean, got a LEARNERS Permit back, would have to have a Licensed Driver with her at all times when she was behind the wheel for SIX Months, (NOT Random} Screen every four weeks and would return her license. So far she passed, if arrested or ticketed AGAIN for this License is BYE BYE.
Good thing its not addictive though right...
Sad part is if she had a good enough lawyer never would have lost license at all. Know of a girl who had 3 DUI's at one time, probably more by now never lost her license for even a day. Parents have tons of money and got the best lawyer and got her out of it for a fine every single time. Lawyer was $10k the first time, $20k the second, not sure after that it wasn't cheap. Meanwhile people who can't afford a good one lose it for like a year and need a lockout in their vehicle for awhile after that, it's so dumb.
Lawyer needs enough pay to grease the right palms. Lots of ways to pay other than hand over cash also.
yah I have been clean and sober for 6 years now. I dont drink either. im 35 now but at the time I was 20 and could tell me nothing lol. guess im paying for it now
You learned from your mistake--that's the upside to this. Good on you.
UPDATE….. the RMV called today to let me know that I’ve been reinstated!!! They said I would have had a 1 year suspension from the day I got the OUI. They just had to go in to the system and change it. Thank you all for your advice!! It’s been amazing having the opportunity to be apart of this community with you all.
Woohoo we're getting the band back together!
Congrats! We all know how big of burden was lifted off your shoulders!
Glad it worked out!
Can you move to a less intrusive state?