Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cummins KT parts

crane operator ยท 2019-02-24 08:12

I cruise Craigslist quite a bit looking for odd stuff, and I came across this ad from Kansas City. I was kind of tempted to call just so I could know how bad the "locking up" issue is on a new rebuild. But I don't need one. Surely if you went to the work and $ to rebuild it, you would want to know what went wrong on test run? If it was a full rebuild they could have $15,000-$20,000 in parts spent, couldn't they? Anyways- here's the ad if anyone is looking for parts: https://kansascity.craigslist.org/hvo/d/cummins-kt-hp-engine/6814426510.html Posted 16 days ago favorite this post Cummins KT 1150 425HP Engine - $123 (Marceline) hide this posting image 2 of 3 condition: good make / manufacturer: Cummins model name / number: KT 1150 Rebuilt out of a Fiat-Allis HD31 Dozer/Crawler. Lots of replaced parts, full overhaul. Locked up on test run, would be great for parts if you have one of these motors you know how hard it is to find some parts. Arrangement Number 291

Replies6
  1. #1kshansen2019-02-24 13:41

    Sure would spoil your day to have that happen! I always kind of liked those KT's. Remember helping use one of the very early ones to repower a 560 Hough loader. Our shop worked with the Cummins factory guys on the project. Somewhere I think I still have some of the prints and sketches we used on the project. Last one I worked on was in a Komatsu WA600. One of the best running engines we had. Some time in the mid to late 90's they renamed them to KT19's to fit in with the new metric terminology. Sure it had some leaks that needed fixing now and then. Major work if you can call it that, turbo failed at 11,000 hours, replaced injectors at 12,000, worst was a broken valve spring at 24,000 hours, got lucky and retainer held and valve did not hit piston. When the spring broke we removed heads and had them all six rebuilt and put them back on. When I retired in 2015 that one had 25,000 hours on it and still running the original pistons, liners and bottom end after 19 years of use.

  2. #2wornout wrench2019-02-24 14:16

    The K19's were very popular in our logging equipment. We ran them in logging trucks and yarders. very powerful and reliable. Most were 600 hp. We did have issues with breaking head bolts early in, but that seemed to get fixed as they went along. I loved them, so much more room to work on then the 12V71's they replaced. Anybody that has ever had to do engine work on a grapple yarder will know what I am talking about. A Kenworth 850 with a 600HP K19 and a Alison 6061, Clark 121,000 diffs. But I am straying from the thread. Wonder what blew on it?

  3. #3thepumpguysc2019-02-24 15:20

    Don't they have oiler tubes like the K50?? I've seen THOSE get put in wrong & lock 1 down..

  4. #4RZucker2019-02-24 16:14

    I knew of a 25K series Cat 992 that had a KTA 600 installed in it. Seemed to be a success.

  5. #5kshansen2019-02-24 17:49

    If you are talking the piston cooler oil jet, yes I believe they have them, been over four years since I looked at one up close. Guess if the wrong ones were installed or somehow aimed wrong and the test run was under a load it could overheat a piston and lock up. I know if it was mine I would sure want to know the cause so it would not happen again! The one in the Komatsu was only a KTA 19-C470 so that might have helped it last, not very stressed at 470 horse!

  6. #6Truck Shop2019-02-24 21:27

    A total major with machine work-$45,000 dollars. Massey used them in the Massey 1150 articulated wheel tractor-went check one over with a guy that was looking to buy. Told him no way jose, to many hours on the clock pulling a plow. --He bought it anyway-when unloading from lowboy it dropped a valve-he shoved $39,000 into it.