Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cummins L10 poor fuel mileage help please

Soodude ยท 2012-07-26 18:49

We have been running our two tandem dump trucks both with L10 cummins. Our Ford L9000 has a 285 hp L10 and our international has a 250 hp L10. The international the last couple of years has been drinking fuel like no other. It has about 328K miles on it and the front main seal is starting to leak oil.... Both truck have close to the same size fuel tank but the International drinks about 50% more fuel than the Ford. Is that 250 hp cummins to small for that truck? is it worth rebuilding? Better off finding a high Hp engine? Give me some suggestions fellas... Thanks DJ

Replies3
  1. #1Willis Bushogin2012-07-26 21:02

    L10 This is kinda funny, a friend just called me and asked me the same question. He has a 88 Ford L9000, L10. I told him to check his: air filter wear on the turbo is it smoking? what color has the injection pump been changed or messed with? Is the tranny and rears set up about the same on both trucks? Are they both taching about the same, say at 55mph could have a injector, dumping fuel, but 50% more, is alot of fuel get you a heat gun and check the temp of each cylinder, see if there is a big difference in them Which truck, has the most power, pulling a load? I had a driver, run my L10 hot and cracked the block, I ended up , having to replace the engine. I replaced it with another L10, because it was faster. I had a 400 Cummins and really wanted to install it, but it wouldnt fit, without a bunch of work and I didnt have time. If the block hadnt been messed up, I could have had it rebuilt for around $5-$6,000, thats what I recommend. Replace the water pump, if you rebuild it good luck and keep us posted

  2. #2Soodude2012-07-27 07:22

    between the two trucks they both have the same rears but the trannies are different.... the Ford has a 10 speed and the International has a 8LL..... The ford we have has the most power but is the one that gets the best mileage and no the pumps haven't been messed with.... If there is any smoke out the exhaust it's a little bit of black but not much

  3. #3tctractors2012-07-28 02:09

    The little 250HP motors always managed a good and constant fuel ratio, if its the build I am thinking of turbo only and single spring valves, your 285/290 has turbo, after cooler and a diferent fuel pump with top control, my thoughts are due to the large difference in fuel going into the tanks of these trucks, is some one sucking it out to run another truck? if not it might be a good idea to get both trucks in for an engine tune up, the overhead set is important on these motors, I like to do it yearly on the Cummins motors that I look after, it might be worth checking the cooling fan drive setup, if its the oil clutch job the mag coil on the valve control is often faulty (Lucifer) so a bit more detail or even a few pic's of the motors would be handy, are these engines fitted with the Jacob's Engine Brake??