Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

GM 8.2L Diesel

Palmer78 ยท 2012-07-26 13:34

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this engine? I might look at a 1989 GMC single axle dump with this engine. I'm guessing that it will be a little underpowered for towing equipment but is it fairly dependable?

Replies7
  1. #1Dualie2012-07-28 02:30

    bigger boat anchor than the 3208. Real unfriendly toward head gaskets

  2. #2griffiths512012-07-29 15:50

    Run from that engine. Not a good design in the beginning and few people that will work on them now.

  3. #34x4dually2012-08-03 07:53

    Matter of fact...I have one of these for sale. Passenger head gasket is brand new. Shoot me a message if you are interested and I'll send you a link to the listing. 1989 GMC 7000 8.2L Detroit, Air, 10ft dump, Single Axle, GVWR 31,750.

  4. #44x4dually2012-08-03 07:55

    Opps. I typed the GVWR incorrectly. It is 30,750. I don't know all the site rules yet, so if it isn't ok to just put the link here, sorry. Mods can delete. http://stillwater.craigslist.org/cto/3164815463.html

  5. #5Birken Vogt2012-08-10 23:35

    Not dependable at all and slow as all get out, and turns over 3000 RPM to make any power.

  6. #64x4dually2012-08-13 08:13

    I bought this one just to use for personal use around the farm and hauling gravel from a local quary. It works perfectly for this. It may in fact be an engine with a historical bad rap and not compete with a Perterbuilt, but as far a a truck that will haul what you need for the price....not a bad little truck. It would work great if someone wanted to put a tag trailer behind it with bobcat. The sides are low enough it loads with a skid steer just about right.

  7. #7andrew8522012-08-13 11:48

    A link that come in handy when needed. http://www.dotcomdiesel.com/