I'm looking at purchase a 2000 International 9400 Semi w/ about 950K miles. It had an inframe major (completed in house) at about 600K miles. It has a Cummins N-14 Redtop Diesel Engine with 525 HP, with a 13-speed transmission, 410 ratio, and appears to be in good shape. I would use this for moving our equipment around locally. I've heard that this engine is a strong runner with a good performance. I was wondering what the opinion of this motor for this application was. They are asking $24 for it. Thanks in advance.
We have a 1990 International 9300 with the N14 red top. It's turned up to 500 horse and it is a very strong and very good runner. That thing will accelerate like a bat outta hell. Doesn't get very good mileage though. The only thing we've really done to it is replace the cam followers at about 600K miles.
N-14? Better do a little more research on that one before you pay out your hard earned money for it.
Loads of them running around here. Were very popular before the ISX came out. Good engines.
I hadn't heard of any big issues with those engines in their time. Do an oil sample on it before you buy. In house in frame overhauls can mean many different things to many different people. Maybe the seller can show you receipts.