Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cummins Parts System For Little Guys?

Birken Vogt ยท 2017-11-28 14:54

Recently I had a fun adventure where I got bounced around to different stores, had to make several phone calls half an hour long, etc. to get a WATER PUMP for a 6B ENGINE on time because the customer needed it right away. Every time I call Cummins for something large or small it turns into a fiasco but this was off the charts. Are there online options for them and what might the costs be?

Replies10
  1. #1thepumpguysc2017-11-28 18:56

    IF you have an "account" w/ Cummins or any of their Authorized "dealers" all you do is call the parts guy he looks it up on "COMPASS" & it tells them where it is & how many they have at EACH location.. they order it & have it "drop-shipped" to your door.. easy peasy.. NOW getting a parts person that's worth a spit is another story.. & w/ CUMMINS YOU HAVE TO HAVE the engine serial # to DO ANYTHING.. is THAT WHERE the problem came in?? no serial #..

  2. #2crane operator2017-11-28 19:23

    That's the problem I have usually, be it cummins or cat. Most of the time I'm dealing with old stuff with no factory support, and those metal tags are long gone. Then you find out how good of a parts guy you have.

  3. #392U 34062017-11-28 19:33

    I'm willing to bet 90% of them don't even try.

  4. #4crane operator2017-11-28 20:10

    I spent about 3 hours at a cummins dealer a year ago, looking for a part #. They wanted a serial # that I didn't have. I told them to drag out their books because we were finding the part. Finally the manager came out- he was the old parts man, and we ended up cruising the books and the computer system until I found what I needed. Persistence, and being there in person, and once they get the idea you aren't leaving until its figured out. Sometimes you have to apply a little misery in their lives to get them to do their job.

  5. #5Birken Vogt2017-11-28 20:42

    I was on site with the engine. I had the serial, no problem there. I never call anybody without a serial. The problem is the call takers. I get bounced all over the state even though I am calling the old number for the place an hour's drive from me. Some of the old guys know what they are doing but roll the dice. Also if there is something difficult and the call is dragging on they say "I'll send you an email". I have gotten maybe 1 or 2 emails from these guys EVER. And when I reply I never get a response. They are my absolute worst parts place to deal with. I wish they had some portal where I could type in my serial and look up what I want.

  6. #6Mark2502017-11-28 23:47

    hi Birken , Cummins used to have a site called quick serve you can register and use up to 3 or 4 serial numbers with no cost after that you have to pay a subscription fee I haven't used mine for a while not sure it is still active mark

  7. #7Birken Vogt2017-11-29 00:03

    I used to use quick serve at my old job. Just like you describe, a few serial numbers. My current business has me running all over the place working on units I have never seen before. So it would be a lot of serial numbers. I don't usually get aggravated but they have taken this to a whole new level.

  8. #8thepumpguysc2017-11-29 06:17

    Yes Cummins has a dealer parts look up site.. I cant remember my PW right now or I'd give it to ya.. MAYBE later.. MY parts guy is a moody SOB.. he runs into "no serial #'s" ALL THE TIME & has a book w/ "ghost #'s" he can use.. BUT some days he'll pull it out & other days he'll say, Sorry gotta have an engine SN.. ANOTHER situation THEY HATE IS> Getting them to look up parts & THEN taking their work & buying it online!!!! THAT'LL get you thrown out of the "help pool" QUICK.. We have customers like that.. & even I wont help them out.. & I help everybody.. Lol

  9. #9kshansen2017-11-29 09:40

    Moody Cummins part guy? Reminds me of Chuck at the dealer here in Syracuse several years ago! When he answered the phone it was "Yea what do you want!" You could almost hear the string of four letter words in the way he said it. Most people would do there best to talk with someone else. But I found the one simple trick in dealing with Chuck, just like dealing with a mean dog, talk nice and call him by name! Once I knew that he was one of the best parts guys you could ask for to deal with you could almost see the snarl turn to a smile over the phone. Need a gasket for some oddball water manifold? Give him the casting number off it and he could come up with the right one no problem. Other guys would want you to answer dozens of questions and try to tell you that part is part of the machine the engine is in and not Cummins!

  10. #10shifty222017-11-29 23:48

    I work on Cummins engines daily and get the occasional CAT I have access to parts online for Cummins if I can help send me a message. If anyone can point me in the right direction to international dresser parts new or used that would be great or a machine that komatsu makes or made equivalent to a 1991 510c